Hive to control existing motorized valves

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

I’ve gotten a Hive system, just 1 thermostat/receiver/hub.

The house already has 2 timers, 1 for each floor and 2 motorised valves that are controlled by 2 old thermostats(that are not accurate at all).

I was wondering, is there a way to wire the receiver in such a way for it to control the valves individually(even if it means buying an extra thermostat from Hive).

Sponsored Links
I understand, that clears things up a bit. Thank you.

But i do have a follow up question, the receiver that i have, replaced the digital programable thermostat, close to where the boiler is, it was literally plug and play, the backplate and wiring fit with no aditional changes.

If i do get another thermostat and a receiver, where will the second receiver be wired into?

Sponsored Links
Well, that can depend, was the programmable room thermostat controlling the one zone? You might be able to get the other one near the wiring center or where the upstairs thermostat is located, wiring depending.

Well, that can depend, was the programmable room thermostat controlling the one zone? You might be able to get the other one near the wiring center or where the upstairs thermostat is located, wiring depending.
It was technically controlling only one zone. But the 2 old thermostats(with a dial) controlled the motorised valves independently.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Well it would, and still will be controlling one of the zones. So the extra receiver will need to be placed near the wiring center. It has L-N-possibly E and switch lives, to thermostat which sends switch live to motorised valve, which motors open touches a microswitch which then sends the switch live back to the boiler to fire up.

The wall thermostat does not need to be accurate, but will Hive the room needs to be normally lower than 22ºC as at that temperature the demand for heat from the TRV stops working. I know hive is sold as a twin zone system, but I fail to understand how it works, with other makes like Drayton Wiser it is clearly designed for three zones DHW and two CH 1700993519541.png and it also has the option of OpenTherm
1700993599044.png
but the Hive tries to do it all on the cheap, never fitted one, I would assume one would link both zones and use the linked TRV heads to create zones instead?

However the bit that does all the cleaver stuff is the TRV head, and the electronic heads are not all the same, I use cheap, and I have to set at 22ºC at 7 am then down to 20ºC at 8 am or it is nearly 10 am before room hits the 20ºC, but the Wiser head is claimed to work out when the room needs to start to heat to be at temperature at time set. And one pays for the Smart feature as Wiser TRV heads are far more expensive to the eQ-3 I am using.

The basic thing is you need to design your system to suit your home and life style, there is no one size fits all.

I really need a second thermostat in parallel, but with Hive your TRV heads are thermostats in parallel so you should only need one, as long as your using a few linked TRV heads.

Hi,

I’ve gotten a Hive system, just 1 thermostat/receiver/hub.

The house already has 2 timers, 1 for each floor and 2 motorised valves that are controlled by 2 old thermostats(that are not accurate at all).

I was wondering, is there a way to wire the receiver in such a way for it to control the valves individually(even if it means buying an extra thermostat from Hive).

Single zone system such as hive are old tech.
Energy is too expensive for that approach these days.

Don't throw good money after bad.
Go for a fully zoned system.
Hive do rad valves for this but it looks like a bit of a bolt on.
The Wiser system is superb.

Either way, i don't understand how you have a 1 zone hub controling a 3 zone system.
I'd be going back to the start, drawing out what i have, what i want and going from there.

Single zone system such as hive are old tech.
Energy is too expensive for that approach these days.

Don't throw good money after bad.
Go for a fully zoned system.
Hive do rad valves for this but it looks like a bit of a bolt on.
The Wiser system is superb.

Either way, i don't understand how you have a 1 zone hub controling a 3 zone system.
I'd be going back to the start, drawing out what i have, what i want and going from there.
I think you’ve misunderstood, there’s only 2 zones.

I think you’ve misunderstood, there’s only 2 zones.
I'm counting hw as a zone.
I am also meaning that systems using grouped zones are outdated.

One stat controling one floor/zone etc is defunct tech and needs to go in the dustbin.

The tech is here, cheap enough and reliable enough to have a per-room control. Energy prices certainly justify it.

So, the hive stat system is a throwback to the 2-3 zone systems of old. Hive has added radiator valves to its catalogue but they are a clumsy bolt onto a existing zoned system.

Just go wiser or similar rather than dig any further into Hive.

Knowing that bunch of chancers, they'll depreciate the tech anyway.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back