Hive dual channel (I'm confused?!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my existing Honeywell system with a dual channel hive mini.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20231103_215649980~3.jpg
    PXL_20231103_215649980~3.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have a Y plan system, the programmer (controller as you refer to it) is a straight swap, although someone has used the green/yellow as a live wire, instead of the usual earth - which is not permitted, but perhaps you can put some brown sleeving or brown insulation tape on it.

The Honeywell thermostat (dial) can either be set to maximum and the Hive will take over, or you can join the 2 wires that are in 1 and 3 and safely terminate 2 in a connector block inside the wiring center.

You have a Y plan system, the programmer (controller as you refer to it) is a straight swap, although someone has used the green/yellow as a live wire, instead of the usual earth - which is not permitted, but perhaps you can put some brown sleeving or brown insulation tape on it.

The Honeywell thermostat (dial) can either be set to maximum and the Hive will take over, or you can join the 2 wires that are in 1 and 3 and safely terminate 2 in a connector block inside the wiring center.
Thanks, I've uploaded a clearer picture of the wiring centre.

To confirm, I'd join the 2 brown wires in 1 with the earth cable in 3.
Then terminate the three blue wires into a terminal block?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20231103_215649980~3.jpg
    PXL_20231103_215649980~3.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 30
Nope, not what I said.

Join the 2 wires from the thermostat- the temperature dial on the wall together, there is no earth wire in there which I can see. The 3 wires you have are brown (live in) and blue and black, number 2 is neutral (so likely the blue wire) and black if in terminal 3 of the thermostat will join with the brown in terminal 1 of the thermostat.

DO NOT JOIN ANY LIVE CONDUCTORS UP WITH EARTH UNLESS YOU WANT TO START CAUSING ISSUES?

Sponsored Links
No, stick the grey wire from the controller into this terminal block (where the black is now - so it is connected to the white)..
Screenshot_20231105-100232_Chrome.jpg

And remove the cable to the thermostat completely.
Then as you say, the Hive back plate is (more or less) a straight swap.

Edit, didn't see @CBW post above - this is an alternative suggestion! :)

Last edited:
No, stick the grey wire from the controller into this terminal block (where the black is now - so it is connected to the white)..
View attachment 319793

And remove the cable to the thermostat completely.
Then as you say, the Hive back plate is (more or less) a straight swap.

Edit, didn't see @CBW post above - this is an alternative suggestion! :)
Thanks! I'll do that. Seems pretty straightforward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back