Hive for horstmann c21 dual channel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I have replaced my dual channel c21 with a dual channel hive. Installed everything as instructed in booklet. My system is a fully pumped system with motorised valve and central heating pump in the airing cupboard with hot water tank.

Issue I’m having is my hot water will not work with out the heating being on. Hive is set to fully pumped and heating working fine. Just if heating off and I hit hot water nothing happens.

I’ve contact hive but not getting any useful responses.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Sponsored Links
Sorry my mistake I get no hot water at all if in fully pumped mode but do get hot water when in gravity fed mode but only when heating is on

Yes all worked fine before and still does if I fit the c21 panel back

Sponsored Links
Sorry my mistake I get no hot water at all if in fully pumped mode but do get hot water when in gravity fed mode but only when heating is on
So, neither the fully pumped or gravity modes are working as they should. OK your system should be fully pumped but it was an interesting test trying gravity. In gravity there are two modes of operation.

1.The hot water should work on its own
2. When heating is on, the hot water also comes on (that bit seems to work)

Does the hot water come on if you use the manual hot water button on the receiver?

EDIT
Interesting that you are having this problem stevo999 is reporting having a similar problem here.

Last edited:
That is unusual, because Hive terminal 3 is responsible for hot water control regardless of pumped / gravity mode, so if it works in one mode it should work in the other mode, and also when using the manual button. Unless there is an internal or software fault somewhere. From what you have just said, now that it has worked at some point shows the wiring connection is correct.

I did find one Hive installation where the pins on the back of the Hive weren't making a good connection with the old backplate. They are supposed to be universal but I now always fit the new backplate that comes with the Hive, so that both halves of the connection are new together. If you are using the old backplate, you might want to try swapping it.

Now it’s in gravity mode the heating is not really getting to tempature.

I’ve attached a couple of pictures if it helps

Attachments

• 252F1141-8C81-4CA7-98FA-3057D952E63E.jpeg
    252F1141-8C81-4CA7-98FA-3057D952E63E.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 34496A05-9696-487A-8EF5-E26BFB52D0A8.jpeg
    34496A05-9696-487A-8EF5-E26BFB52D0A8.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 247
Now it’s in gravity mode the heating is not really getting to tempature.

That's probably because it's cold outside. The Hive is just a switch, it's on or off, so it will only turn the heating on or off, and that's it all it does. If the radiators are hot it's 'on'. The Hive doesn't control how hot the radiators get, that's down to the boiler.

The wires look OK as far as I can see, in that there are wires in the terminals I would expect wires to be in. But without knowing what's on the other end of each of them it's impossible to know for certain.

If your system is fully pumped it shouldn't really need to be set to gravity, unless the original wiring was a bit non-standard, and if it was the C21 would be set to gravity mode. Was it?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back