Hive from British Gas do you still need the programmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I went for Hive from British Gas to replace my existing analogue thermostat do I still need my existing plumbcenter programmer that's in my kitchen or would this become redundant because of hive?

or would you just leave heating and water set to always on the programmer and let hive do the actual control?

My boiler is a 3 year old Worcester Bosch 30CDI System Condensing Boiler

Sponsored Links
It could be wired either way so if you wanted to you could keep the existing programmer and leave it set to be permanently on.

However it may be more straightforward to operate if you totally disconnect the plumbcentre programmer and allow Hive to control the heating and hot water timings by itself.

Thanks or would I be better with nest as I just need to replace the existing wired thermostat with the nest one and the programmer would stay as normal as nest only does heating ?

Also from what I am reading nest is getting better reviews and a more advanced product than hive?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a Bg contract?

The best will only do htg and the app is not great in my opinion.
However it is better looking/more gadgety

The hive will do htg and hw and the app is easy to use. I have the hive at home.

Not with bg we are with Scottish power so would cost 199 compared to £150 for nest

As I don't really want a redundant programmer in my kitchen which would be the case if I went with hive it might be better to go with nest ?

Is nest easy to install is it just the case of swapping thermostats? And more importantly is nest any good or is hive just a much better product ?

The programmer won't be redundant. The hives reliever replaces it.

Don't forget the hive @£199 will be installed for that price the best will have installation cost on top.

Find a British Gas man. Stop one in the street and he will get u one for £149 installed. ;)

Don't forget the hive @£199 will be installed for that price the best will have installation cost on top.

Find a British Gas man. Stop one in the street and he will get u one for £149 installed. ;)

Apparently they do it at £99 if broken timer/stat.

Apparently they do it at £99 if broken timer/stat.

Yes if you are on contract and have broken programmer/thermostat etc then it is available for £99

thanks all so is the general consensus that the British Gas Hive is better than Nest?

IMO yes it is.

Hive will do both hot water and heating and will replace your existing timer so no redundant timers sat on your wall.

As far as I know the Nest is the only one with an IR motion sensor which will turn off heating of there has been no movement for an hour or so.

That is a very useful function for me.

The Nest smoke/CO wifi alarm is about the only one that I know of. If you are away a lot or have a holiday home then its virtually a "must have".

Tony

As far as I know the Nest is the only one with an IR motion sensor which will turn off heating of there has been no movement for an hour or so.

That is a very useful function for me.

The Nest smoke/CO wifi alarm is about the only one that I know of. If you are away a lot or have a holiday home then its virtually a "must have".

Tony

Hive uses geolocation so once you are a preset distance from home the heating will activate or deactivate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back