Hive thermostat and existing boiler controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at the Hive thermostat but a bit confused by what Hive have told me and conflicting info online, is it possible to replace my existing hall thermostat and leave existing programmer on all the time or do I need to replace the programmer? I don't want the thermostat in that location as it's in a colder room next to the boiler.

Existing setup:

Vokera Mynute i20 gas boiler
Downstairs & HW - controlled by Danfoss Randall RET1000MS Room Thermostat and a programmer (not sure the model number but picture attached)
Upstairs - a separate programmer/thermostat (assuming I can leave this as is but won't be able to control it via Hive)

Can someone please advise? Thanks

Attachments

• 4B8B4B66-F379-4E33-9904-E70ED6E28BE4.jpeg
    4B8B4B66-F379-4E33-9904-E70ED6E28BE4.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
A Hive Dual Channel receiver will replace the existing Danfoss programmer. as you can see from the diagrams below, they have the same wiring connections so are a straight swap. You need to do this if you want to use Hive to control the hot water as well as the central heating.

1712228581845.png

Then the old thermostat can either be left in place and set to maximum, but if you wish to remove it, it can't just be disconnected a small wiring mod will be required to join its two live switching wires together and bridge the circuit that would be left open by its removal. If yours is the same as the version below, basically the wires in Danfoss Randall RET terminals 1 and 2 need to be connected together, and the mains supply isolated.

111.jpg

The new Hive thermostat is battery powered, it communicates with the receiver wirelessly so you can locate it wherever you want to.

You can leave the upstairs thermostat as it is, or replace it with a Single Channel version of the Hive just for the upstairs.

Last edited:
The new Hive thermostat is battery powered, it communicates with the receiver wirelessly so you can locate it wherever you want to.

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to hear from Hive support but they didn't seem to have a clue what I was asking!

Sponsored Links
111.jpg

The Hive Kit, also contains a Hub that connects to your internet router to allow remote access. If you were to add a single zone Hive for upstairs you can use the same hub.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back