Hive Heating - HW always on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed Hive to our Y plan central heating system but the HW, pump and boiler seems to be on permanently.

I have attached a picture of the wiring centre. Could anyone help me trouble shoot please?

We have a cold header in the attic.

I have not used a HW off in my wiring, not sure if this is right and/or where it should go.

Thanks.

Attachments

• C4036B33-5D53-4783-B1BB-5FDE8A0811D2.jpeg
    C4036B33-5D53-4783-B1BB-5FDE8A0811D2.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well actually since I wrote this the boiler has turned off, so the problem is just that the pump stays on, which considering it’s joined in the same terminal as the boiler live doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have not used a HW off in my wiring

Do you perhaps want to rethink that comment?

hw off.JPG

According to your photo HW Off is connected to what looks like the grey wire of the motorised valve, which is correct.

It is also connected to a green / yellow wire, the colours of which identify it as an earth wire. However, it may wrongly have been used for another purpose but from the photo without seeing the other end I can't tell. However, it should go to the hot water 'off' or 'satisfied' terminal of the cylinder thermostat, and be identified as a live wire, as per the diagram below: [The wires in question are highlighted in purple, and for "Controller" read "Hive"]

Y-Plan-Wiring.jpg

I would start by checking the cylinder thermostat, you may have got the 'call' and 'satisfied' wires transposed.

Well actually since I wrote this the boiler has turned off, so the problem is just that the pump stays on, which considering it’s joined in the same terminal as the boiler live doesn’t make sense.

Probably the boiler thermostat has switched it off.

Some boilers require control of the pump and will have special terminals for it to connect to instead of the wiring centre. However, if having them connected together was how it originally was, then that won't be the case.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back