Hive Install - HW Pump Always On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Installed a Hive Active Heating and Hot Water today, replacing a Honeywell wired room stat. I have isolated the cabling for the original room stat within the wiring centre, and looped it out for the call for heat.

Performed a quick test for the HW and CH, both working as expected.

This evening however, I noticed the pump is remaining active for the entire HW schedule, even when the boiler is not running, this has not occurred before. The motorised valve has not been an issue up to this point, and I don't see how the wiring changes would have caused this issue.

This is a Y plan fully pumped system. Wiring centre is a Honeywell 10 way, 42002116-001, where I have removed the stat and looped 5 with 4.

I'm not entirely sure, however the rads may have been warm to the touch when I noticed the pump issue.

Can anyone offer up some advice?

Sponsored Links
Is the heating staying permanently on? Or does it go on and off with the hot water timings?

Last edited:
Is the heating staying permanently on? Or does it go on and off with the hot water timings?

At that particular time, the heating was going off with the hot water timings.

I've tested a couple of things, i shall draft up a full post with pictures in a moment.

Sponsored Links
OK, the heating is being fed when HW is on, regardless of thermostat temp, i suspect due to the valve sticking. Powering off the system, I can push the lever manually to CH, however it only returns to mid position, so I'm assuming this rules out faulty wiring.

With regards to the pump being on all the time, that was an installation mistake. I have a gravity system with pump, the Hive defaults to a fully pumped system on installation. I missed this.

I haven't tested the Hive since as i thought it best to reverse what I had done, and install the good old wired thermostat and Siemens RW29 programmer.

With the stat and RW29 back in place, I still have the issue with the rads heating up with HW (valve stuck), however if I request CH the programmer starts to buzz and starts to LCD panel fades away to nothing. I suspect faulty wiring, however I have checked all terminals in the wiring centre, tightened them etc, nothing obvious sticks out.

I'll attach a picture of my wiring centre. The reason I didnt try the Hive again is because I am now unsure what is going on with the pump and valve, the wiring does not follow the standard wiring diagram for an Y plan. What I had done with my initial Hive install was to remove the wired thermostat completely from 2,3,4,5 (N,E,L,SL) and move across the white cable in 5 to 4 so it would get the call for heat direct from the Hive call for heat. The orange and grey cables for the valve do not fit with the diagram, and the pump and cylinder cables don't either.

I'm not a heating engineer, however I can read a wiring diagram. Now I've spotted it is not installed as per the diagram, I have put everything back as it was, and I am stepping away! However in doing so I now have a buzzing coming from the programmer when requesting CH (i assume a short circuit somewhere).

So to summerise, with the original equipment installed, I have what appears to be the following problems:

1. 3 port valve stuck in AB
  2. Possible short-circuit with call for CH
http://www.honeywelluk.com/documents/all/pdf/wiring guide issue 16.pdf

With the stat and RW29 back in place, I still have the issue with the rads heating up with HW (valve stuck), however if I request CH the programmer starts to buzz and starts to LCD panel fades away to nothing. I suspect faulty wiring, however I have checked all terminals in the wiring centre, tightened them etc, nothing obvious sticks out.

Fella,get an expert in.
You have buggered it up :mrgreen: Its out of your diy scope and possibly a risk.

Fella,get an expert in.
You have buggered it up :mrgreen: Its out of your diy scope and possibly a risk.

Indeed, I requested assistance from a professional this morning. Pending site visit.

Another diy dafty happy to play with electrics,ffs

Hey, I resemble that comment! Not entirely daft; for the original install I knew I needed to remove the wired stat and loop the call for heat. Isolated supply, took various photos, traced cables, and performed the work. If the valve didnt stick today, it would have stuck at some point in the future, that was just down to bad luck. I do however acknowledge my lack of forward reading with the installation manual. If I'd have read the part about the default state the Hive takes, I would have overridden it and put it into the correct mode potentially avoiding the possible risk I am now in. I have isolated the supply to limit that risk.

Hey, I resemble that comment! Not entirely daft; for the original install I knew I needed to remove the wired stat and loop the call for heat. Isolated supply, took various photos, traced cables, and performed the work. If the valve didnt stick today, it would have stuck at some point in the future, that was just down to bad luck. I do however acknowledge my lack of forward reading with the installation manual. If I'd have read the part about the default state the Hive takes, I would have overridden it and put it into the correct mode potentially avoiding the possible risk I am now in. I have isolated the supply to limit that risk.

Fair enough.
There are a few checks a gas operative would preform before starting your type of alteration,starting with gas/electric safety,if it passes the safety checks then on how well the system is operating before alterations.This includes checking if the existing system is installed correctly and or its just about working.
its only a matter of time till someone is killed by incorrect heating wiring alteration ,it has happened before but this site dont give a flying :censored: ****,ers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back