Hive heating wiring - bdr91

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of updating our heating controls. Looking to install Hive as we had it at a previous house and simply want to utilise the app as we work shift work so do not have set schedules.

I am looking to install this myself as I always like to attempt in the first instance.

I have been reviewing my current system. It is a y plan heating system

We currently have a bdr91 recover and a potterton controls. See picture.

My question is do I simply disconnect the bd91 and then change switch the pottern control wiring to the new hive receiver? The hive is for both heating and hot water.
IMG_20200901_153156.jpg
IMG_20200901_153152.jpg

Sponsored Links
In which case, you should have a dual channel Hive and it replaces the programmer which has the necessary wires to control both the heating and the hot water. The BDR91 can't just be removed though, as the heating wiring would be left open circuit and not operate. So whilst the N and L can be removed from the BDR91 the switching wires in terminals A & B should be bridged to complete the circuit. The Hive will then have full control.

Hi Stem.

Thank you for that. it aligns with something i had read last night.

Rather than bridging A and B could you bridge the appropriate ports directly in the wiring centre and then remove the bdr91? Seems like it would be nearer and remove the extra hardware.

Indeed you could and that is how I would do it. Electrically it achieves the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Thank you! This has been helpful. I look forward to getting this installed soon

Great let us know how you get on. The Potterton EP has a link between terminals L and 5. Hive Dual Channel has this link made internally already, so doesn't have a terminal 5. Therefore, you can just discard the brown wire loop between these two terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back