Hive install issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked by a friend if I can have a look at the dual channel hive he has installed. The heating is working fine but when the hot water is scheduled to come on the heating also comes on. He has completely removed the existing thermostat and wiring. He has replaced the programmer with the hive receiver.

The heating system is a pumped system with vented water cylinder. Boiler is a oil fired convection danesmoor.

The wiring on the hive receiver has live neutral and terminals 3 and 4 connected.

Anyone any ideas as to why the CH comes on when the HW is on.

Sponsored Links
You mention pumped and convection, Was it a C-plan? What zone valve installed?

I belive its a y plan with a 3 way motorised valve. I've not had a chance to check his system. Just wondering if it was something simple that might have been missed.

Could be wiring issue or 3 port failure then

Sponsored Links
Well everything was working correctly before he installed the hive so guessing it's a wiring issue to the 3 port valve.

Guess is CH and DHW swapped in the Hive and set to gravity. Not set Hive, but told in gravity mode it activates both relays when doing CH and just one when on DHW.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Guess is CH and DHW swapped in the Hive and set to gravity. Not set Hive, but told in gravity mode it activates both relays when doing CH and just one when on DHW.
This is what I was going to suggest. You can tell if it has been set to gravity mode by the top light being lit up blue, instead of the normal green.

Something doesn't add up here...
I belive its a y plan with a 3 way motorised valve
If it is a Y Plan with a 3-Port valve. Something is missing from the below.
The wiring on the hive receiver has live neutral and terminals 3 and 4 connected.
With a 3-Port valve there should also be a wire connected to terminal 1. This is 'Hot water off' and goes to the motorised valve's grey wire, and also the hot water cylinder thermostat. [This doesn't apply if it's an S-Plan with 2-Port motorised valves]

The Hive receiver should have been a like for like replacement for the original programmer, all of the existing wires should have been moved from the terminals at the original programmer to the Hive receiver terminals that have the exact same function. No additional wires should be added, or any left disconnected.

Decommissioning of the old room thermostat can be tricky. One test you could try is to reinstate the old room thermostat exactly as it was, including undoing all of the wiring changes associated with it. Then set it to 'maximum' and operate the system with the Hive, does it work correctly now? If so, the decommissioning of the original room stat wasn't done properly.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yeah my plan when I go round is to rewire the thermostat wiring at the receiver end then link the signal wires at the end that would have connected to the wall thermostat so that it would constantly be calling for heat. As see if that works.

So I was round tonight to look at my mates. Hive. I rewired the receiver to how it was previously then linked the signal wires from. The old wall mounted thermostat and everything is now working as it should with hive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back