Hive install on current system.. Help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi team,

Thanks for letting me join and post my first post!

I currently have a new house with an Ideal Logic 15 condensing boiler and a Tribune ERP with two zone heating.

All of this was previously run from two Danfoss programmers. One in the kitchen that runs the hot water and heating originally.

Then one in the lounge that runs that zone.

My brother installed a Salus system for me which I want to fully remove and the Danfoss system to go with Hive.

Currently since the Salus has been installed, the Danfoss in the kitchen still does the hot water. But the new Salus mobile programmer does the heating for both zones along with the Salus thermostat in the lounge. The Danfoss programmer in the lounge is not used.

So my question is...

For the hive system, do I buy the version for combi boilers or the one with the hot water? I think i need the one with the hot water and an extra thermostat at for the zone 2.

Secondly presumably, with the hive I can ditch all the danfoss items? As hive does the hot water to? Not sure what to do with the wires and the wall mind you

I've added some pics to help you see what I have. Any help appreciated.

Cheers Rich

IMG_20210102_142123.jpg
IMG_20210102_142118.jpg
IMG_20210102_142105.jpg
IMG_20210102_142050.jpg
IMG_20210102_142031.jpg
IMG_20210102_140033.jpg
IMG_20210102_134945.jpg

Sponsored Links
It depends if it’s been wired up for both zones to come on with Salus, and if you want separate zones. If you’re happy that both zones come on at the same time, then just the dual channel hive is fine and put the wiring from existing hot water zone valve into the Hive. If you want separate zones for heating, then you’ll need a dual channel plus a single channel for separate zone.

Thanks Chris.

Nope I'd want both zones seperate as they are now.

So that's the Hive with Hot water boiler version and the additional thermostat for the zone 2.

That will then do away with all danfoss items and salus items.

Sorry, you said they’re x2 zones controlled by Salus, and Danfoss for hot water.

But the new Salus mobile programmer does the heating for both zones along with the Salus thermostat in the lounge.

Or can you still control both zones individually with the Salus?

If the latter, then yes a dual channel and additional single would do away with all existing Danfoss and Salus.

Sponsored Links
As @Chris_W correctly says you need a dual channel hive and a single channel hive both with their own receivers

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sorry, you said they’re x2 zones controlled by Salus, and Danfoss for hot water.

Or can you still control both zones individually with the Salus?

If the latter, then yes a dual channel and additional single would do away with all existing Danfoss and Salus.

Sorry not been clear, the salus mobile programmer and I believe it to be the thermostat to, allows me control of both zone 1 and zone 2. There's then a static thermostat in zone 2.

Essentially though you've answered my question, which is by the hot water tank and heating Hive and the additional thermostat.

Any idea what to do with the two danfoss programmers and there's a thermostat to in the hall.... Can you buy just blanking plates?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Yes you can buy blanking plates, but if they’re no longer connected as in live, you can afaik, just cut them back and fill holes, including wiring.

Hi DIY NOT team,

Thanks for your help earlier in the year - I'm just about to purchase and want to be 100% sure....

I'm going to get this one - with the hot water tank? as confirming above with my pics and setup that's what is needed:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Hive-Hea...ive+with+hot+water&qid=1612946862&sr=8-4&th=1

and then an additional thermostat for my other zone in the lounge which is this one?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Hive-Hea...ive+with+hot+water&qid=1612946862&sr=8-4&th=1

Is that correct? Could someone confirm ASAP for me I'm buying the right items for my setup as per post 1?

Cheers

Rich

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sorry but Amazon links are terrible you have to guess what is included , these are the two kits you need, you will get them on Amazon , but they sell so many configurations, make sure you are getting all the components you need

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hive-Active-Heating-Hot-Water-Dual-Channel-Complete-Kit-Brand-New-Sealed/154322813027?epid=11029547470&hash=item23ee5b4063:g:bIgAAOSwOPhgIEow&LH_ItemCondition=3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIVE-ACT...554838?hash=item34329e9c16:g:GlYAAOSw3TRfgL6o

Absolutely amazing! thank you so much Ian!!! this is exactly what I needed! Thank you for your support.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back