Hive installation advice (moved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
9F506F4A-99C0-4EAF-90FF-4AFDFA43CEC5.jpeg CC1245C2-5F83-445A-BFA3-07349E216BA7.jpeg BEB3CDF4-934F-4215-A680-8007848ABB8C.jpeg 9F506F4A-99C0-4EAF-90FF-4AFDFA43CEC5.jpeg CC1245C2-5F83-445A-BFA3-07349E216BA7.jpeg BEB3CDF4-934F-4215-A680-8007848ABB8C.jpeg E07575A2-F5D3-457A-8FA1-C9E1BF0617DE.jpeg E07575A2-F5D3-457A-8FA1-C9E1BF0617DE.jpeg 3CBF7896-306E-48AC-84E7-085A6B2E53AF.jpeg I have just purchased a Hive dual system for HW and CH. As I live in Northern Ireland there is no British Gas presence, and when I rang their support line to ask about the wiring into my existing system they refused to help, and even advised that they knew of no installation engineers in Northern Ireland!

My system comprises a Baxi Solo boiler, with a separate Megaflow HW tank. The boiler is presently controlled by a Horstmann Centaur C27 Programmer and a Honeywell thermostat. I have opened the programmer and found that it is wired only to terminals 3 & 4. I'm assuming from this that it is a “gravity fed system” even though it is at mains pressure.

The hive installation manual focuses on a four wire connection, but advises that it can be reprogrammed to suit gravity fed systems. However, it is vague about the wiring needs. All it says is - “complete wiring and reprogramme”.

My questions are:

1. The Centaur backplate appears to be compatible with the Hive receiver (barring the wiring issue above). Is this correct?
2. Do I take the existing thermostat out of circuit?
3. Do I need to move any of the thermostat wiring into the backplate to allow the Hive to function correctly?
4. Do I need to do anything at the boiler end.

By the way I was pretty horrified at the quality of the terminations when I saw the backplate! I plan to tidy these up during the work.

I have attached pics of the key elements to help.

I would be very grateful for any help and advice.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Sponsored Links
Hi Brian

You probably haven't received an answer because you have posted your question in the wrong forum. For future reference, it should have been in plumbing and central heating section, where those than can answer your question usually reside. Don't replicate it there now otherwise you will have two threads going on the same subject, which is against forum rules and causes confusion.

I'm assuming from this that it is a “gravity fed system”
No, it is a fully pumped system. A gravity system is one where the hot water circulates by natural convection (ie gravity) rather than being pumped. Gravity systems haven't been installed since the 1970's maybe early 80's so most have been taken out now. So, don't set the Hive to Gravity mode, it is not correct for your system.

The Centaur backplate appears to be compatible with the Hive receiver (barring the wiring issue above). Is this correct?
Yes the connections are the same, (L&N) (3=HW 'on') (4=CH 'on') but your wiring is terrible. There should only be a small amount of copper on show and no whiskers poking out. The existing backplate will be old and whilst they are more or less compatible (sometimes they can be a tight / loose fit) but as you have a nice new one specifically designed for the Hive it would be daft not to use it.

Do I take the existing thermostat out of circuit?
Yes. Because the Hive carries out the functions of the room thermostat, the old wired thermostat needs to be decommissioned to prevent it overriding the Hive. It can't simply be disconnected as this would leave the heating wiring 'open circuit' and it will not operate. This is done by finding the origin of the thermostat cable. Note where the wires are connected to and disconnect the cable completely. Then link the terminals where the two ‘live’ switching wires came from together.

Do I need to do anything at the boiler end.
No.

Thank you. I did in fact realise my mistake yesterday and copied this thread over to that forum and have received a response very much the same as yours. Thank you for your help.

Yes I noticed afterwards. I looked at the "unanswered threads" first and only this was was shown as the other one had already been answered. At least you got the same answer.

Sponsored Links
Brian I am thinking of getting Hive and live in Northen Ireland so no installation package available did you get yours up and running ok and are you happy with it? Cheers Jim (Lisburn)

There is no difference in any way of installing a hive in NI to UK mainland, it is exactly the same

Yes understand however the difference is that they don’t offer install in NI which is sad as the install package c/w kit is on offer today to prime members on Amazon for less than buying the kit itself

Have heard some stating that when they buy the supply and installation package here that some wait for months to get an appointment, yes I get that it can be cheaper with installation included, but nothing hard about installing them, maybe someone should start specializing in them in NI, but think it is probably a shipping thing rather than a technical thing that places like Amazon to exclude certain areas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back