Hive installation on Potterton Promax HE Store

Live in and switched out, Common and call at Hive.

Do you have a diagrammatic version of the answer? And also which wires correspond from old (original) eg Live in (is this black with brown sleeve or brown wire) = Common (or call) etc

Sponsored Links
Brown in appears to be live in, black sleeved brown appears to be switched. Brown to 1 in Hive and black sleeved brown in 3.

So am I correct in assuming if I restore the wiring as it was originally before the change over. Then the wiring for the zone valves and boiler will be correct. All that is then required is to trace original black (brown sleeved wire) and black wire from original thermostat and feed those into the hive as per your comment above and supply Hive power my meats of just tapping off the terminal block?

Sponsored Links
With multimeter how do I test to confirm black and brown from original?

Test between suspected live and neutral or an earth source. If 230/240 vac it’s live, if not then likely switch live

How does switched live get its power? Is there something I can do that will make it live?

Yes, it’s the thermostat that does this, once it drops below the set point, it will call for heat (switch live). Only way of giving it power is to put a link in, be careful though, as sending voltage down a wire that’s not the intended path can have consequences.

So if I connect the brown and black wire together it will effectively make both live? Once live power goes to the CH area on boiler it tells boiler to activate?

Maybe this switched live is missing then!

Still no joy with this.

Maybe it has something to do with the grey and black that are not connected. If I connect each like that pic above then will it work or will I blow something?

The original wire seems like this:
Brown -> Black
Brown -> Grey

The new wiring is:
Brown *and* Black -> nothing (this is connected to black in original)
Brown *and* Black -> nothing (this is connected to grey in original)

Actually tested continuity and the 2 free wires are both connected somehow so maybe there is a loop.

In the upstairs thermostat backing there was different configuration.

It had grey, black and brown wire. I don't have the original set up but it seems the grey may be the odd one out and involved in central heating to switch on when it was switched live by either the downstairs or upstairs thermostat (grey and black wires). This is speculation as I'm assuming the thermostats were somehow connected here before going to boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back