hive or similer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a new boiler, but as I have a long term illness which gets me hospitalised quite a bit It would be great if I could control my heating from my smartphone, as sometimes I have been taken in unexpectedly and heating left on, I have heard of hive, and nest who do something which would be great has anyone used these or is there something cheaper on the market that a diy person could fit, as I gather its just replacing your thermostat and linking it up to your broadband. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nest or Honeywell Evohome.

Hive is shyte, and I want to cut m y ears off every time I hear that flocking advert on the radio.

Thank god for radio 4

Nothing wrong with Hive. Does exactly what you describe.

Whatever you go for though you will probably need someone to install it. The receiver may need wiring into the boiler (depending on what type of boiler you have, you didn't mention it).

Ive chosen a vaillant eco tec pro 28, bascally I just want something I can control temp, on and off while away , looking at the hive im not sure if you can adjust the temperature while away, I may be wrong but it seems you have to set it before you leave the house, I want something that I can control the temperature while away

Sponsored Links
You can set it via the app on any smartphone/tablet or via the hivehome website on a computer. As long as you have an Internet connection you can do it from anywhere in the world.

You can set it via the app on any smartphone/tablet or via the hivehome website on a computer. As long as you have an Internet connection you can do it from anywhere in the world.

ohh only on one review site it said you have to remember to set the temp before you leave, but if that was the case what is the point of it, hope your right, is it posdible to fit yourself ???

Blimey looking into this and there seems to be umpteen of these sort of systems, honywell evohome, owl, tado,

ohh only on one review site it said you have to remember to set the temp before you leave, but if that was the case what is the point of it, hope your right, is it posdible to fit yourself ???

Not all reviews are written by people who know what they're talking about ;). Definitely works. I installed mine myself but it entirely depends on your own ability! Think standalone price is £159? Installed is £199. £40 doesn't seem so bad to me (especially compared to British Gas normal labour prices!).

I have recently install the salus it500 and so far its doing exactly as expected :)

I have Hive and it works a treat. You can't set the hot water temperature remotely (only whether it's off/timed/boost) - maybe that's where the conflicting advice lies? You do have full temperature control of the heating and can change it on/off/timed, as well as changing any timed settings for any/all days. You also have a minumum temp setting so you could set that low and it'll kick on and off as necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back