Wiring switching from Nest to Hive

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi there,

I just moved house where there is an existing Nest thermostat set up on my combi boiler, although I am trying to install a Hive.

Scratching my head a little bit translating the wiring from one to the other.

Have a picture below of the current Nest set up, and the instructions from the new hive - would appreciate the help!

P.S - Just to point out, I want to set up heating for the radiators around the house, so i'm getting extra confused by the "Hot water" vs "Heating" in the Hive instructions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109_201832_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_201832_WhatsApp.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20231109_201813_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_201813_WhatsApp.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20231109_201819_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_201819_WhatsApp.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Have you purchased a dual channel Hive thermostat and receiver or is it single channel? Question would have also been better in plumbing and heating or electrics sub forum.

Thanks for the reply, it's a dual channel receiver (and sorry for the lack of ettiquette, it's my first time here!)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for the reply, it's a dual channel receiver (and sorry for the lack of ettiquette, it's my first time here!)
No need for apologies, just FYI for future reference. Right, secondly, I need to know what boiler make and model you have, if unsure, post a photo. The Hive dual channel is 240vac mains switching and if your boiler doesn’t support mains switching then you could blow the pcb.

Sponsored Links
Legend! It's a baxi system boiler combi - I can post a picture if that's not enough info on it too Thank you!

• Thanks
Legend! It's a baxi system boiler combi - I can post a picture if that's not enough info on it too Thank you!
I don’t think you can have a system Combi boiler, usually either or. Probably best with a picture please

Last edited:
Ok, good to know - I'm attaching pictures of the boiler now to give a better idea of what we have.

Attachments

• IMG-20231109-WA0032.jpg
    IMG-20231109-WA0032.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-20231109-WA0033.jpg
    IMG-20231109-WA0033.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20231109-WA0034.jpg
    IMG-20231109-WA0034.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-20231109-WA0035.jpg
    IMG-20231109-WA0035.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG-20231109-WA0036.jpg
    IMG-20231109-WA0036.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 68
  • Thanks
Wow, that is odd, similarities to a combi but called system and only radiator temperature. Either way, to wire that in mains switching is fine. If you do have a hot water cylinder, then you could control both with the Hive, but if you’re happy just to use the thermostat, the do as follows:

L to L
N to N
Terminal 3 (grey) to terminal 4 (heating on)
Safely terminate terminal 2 in a connector block

Last edited:
Hi there,

Just following up on this.

I set up my Nest hub, receiver and thermostat, and they are all communicating with each other and on paper seem to work - but neither the thermostat or the app seem to actually control the heating at all.

The boiler seems to just turn on or off depending on us manually doing so.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thank you so much,
Emmet

• Thanks
What do you mean by manually doing so? I forgot to mention earlier, leave the timeclock on the boiler left to permanently on. Also have you turned the selector switch to heating and hot water?

...and try swapping the grey wire, for the black wire in Hive terminal 4. Safely isolate the grey wire.

• Thanks
...and try swapping the grey wire, for the black wire in Hive terminal 4. Safely isolate the grey wire.
Was just thinking the same, could be the grey is switch live back, which wouldn't have mattered on the Nest.

Last edited:
Hi both,

The selector switch is turned to heating and hot water (which is what I meant by manually turning it on - that turns the heating on) and the timeclock is set to permanently on too.

Ive just swapped the grey and black wires but now the receiver wont turn on at all, so I guess the wiring must have been right the first time?

Ive just swapped the grey and black wires but now the receiver wont turn on at all, so I guess the wiring must have been right the first time?
That really shouldn't happen.
Can you post a picture of how you have wired up the Hive?
Do you have access to a multimeter?

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back