Hive Single Receiver - Final Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I’m hoping that someone can help please, as I’m at a complete loss.

I’m installing a Hive Single receiver to my Glow Worm Extramax Combi boiler and have got to the final stage on wiring up the actual receiver to the boiler. The 240v (L&N) are connected and the system is powered and synced, but I just can’t figure out where the ‘common’ and ‘heating on’ wire go on the boiler panel. This is 1 and 3 on the actual Hive receiver.

I originally thought they would go into the voltage free connectors (E) on the instruction manual picture attached, so I removed the link and wired up the common and heating on. I then removed the original remote thermostat wires from the neighbouring connections (F), but it then showed an error code.

I have attached a photo of the actual board and the connectors and also the section out of the instruction manual.

The one with the link (E) is the ‘voltage free’ and the one next (F) is the current remote thermostat. Having done some further research, is it actually just a case of removing the wires from the current thermostat (F) and replace them with the hive wires. If that’s the case does it matter what way they go into the terminals.

Can someone advise if I’m on the right track please or can anyone tell me where the actual common and heating on wires actually go.

Any assistance really appreciated.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• ECC09228-0B00-431F-BED0-66F5AE56ECBD.jpeg
    ECC09228-0B00-431F-BED0-66F5AE56ECBD.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 94BC1A1A-3C0D-439E-A3E2-9373915DEF7D.jpeg
    94BC1A1A-3C0D-439E-A3E2-9373915DEF7D.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 1910B740-CA7C-4D3C-A363-B815C355CEF8.png
    1910B740-CA7C-4D3C-A363-B815C355CEF8.png
    587.1 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
I would say that your current thermostat is eBus connected, which you would need to remove. Then on the voltage free side, 1 and 2 to 1 and 3 on receiver, doesn’t matter which way if they’re 24v outputs.

The one with the link (E) is the ‘voltage free’ and the one next (F) is the current remote thermostat. Having done some further research, is it actually just a case of removing the wires from the current thermostat (F) and replace them with the hive wires. If that’s the case does it matter what way they go into the terminals.
yes the two wires in F go to 1&3 on the single channel hive, doesnt matter which way round

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks very much. Really appreciate the advice and confirmation. I’ll try that and all going well that will work.

Sponsored Links
Hello again, looking for a bit more help please. Removed the existing remote thermostat from F on the attached picture and diagram and replaced it with 1 and 3 from the hive receiver, but when I switch on the boiler it’s still showing an error code. Returned the original and all back to normal so I’m clearly doing something wrong. At a complete loss, so any further advice or thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Where are the wires from the old thermostat?

On the actual picture that shows the circuit board, there are two wires that goes into the connector block, which is F on the actual instruction manual. Shows as blue and brown wires. Sits next to the connector with the link. That’s the current thermostat. Thanks again.

Just re-read, you can’t apply mains voltage to a 24v eBus controller.

Thanks. Still not sure so please bear with me. The wires that you see on the picture feed the current remote thermostat. The hive wires I’m connecting are 1 and 3 on the hive receiver. (I.e common and heating on), so not 240v. Can you please advise where I would connect the hive on the circuit board and whether I need to do anything else. Thanks. Really appreciate it. Very frustrating

I can’t find manual that has the same pages as yours, are you sure it’s an extra max?

Yes so, I think that your wireless thermostat can be connected to F - is existing a Glow worm product?

Yes the existing one is connected to F, but it’s that one I am removing and replacing with the Hive. I just need to confirm where I put the hive. The current one connected to F won’t be used and will be removed. Thanks

Bear with me, because hopefully this isn’t the last bit, the 1 and 3 from Hive need to go in place of that link, which is similar to what I posted in post #2. That’s why you got the error code, because Hive isn’t an eBus connection.

Yeah that the frustrating bit. I actually did that to start with but still caused the error code. Would it matter what way the cables went or does it not matter.
Also if I put the cables into the connector where the link is, do I need to do anything with the current thermostat (I.e remove the wires, leave in, remove and add link etc) or just remove all together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back