Hive Spur as a Power Source for WB38CDI Combi Boile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve done diy plumbing for most of my life and have a generally good understanding of electrics. (Point me in the right direction and I can deal with most things) However, I’m somewhat confused with the Hive setup and how it works. I’ve not even seen one aside from the ads and what others say of it (a very sad and sheltered life, I know!!). Having seen a couple of YouTube videos, I’m still somewhat confused.

I’m planning on buying a Hive heat only thermostat but before I do I want to understand what is involved.

I have a WB 38CDI that I will need to connect my Hive to. At present, the boiler is simply being powered from a fused socket. There is an awful Salus wireless controller attached to the boiler which I will disconnect.

My question is, if I disconnect the mains power cable from the boiler and connect the L N E wires to the new Hive controller and then take a 5 core cable from the Hive controller to the L N Ns Lr and Ls terminals on the boiler, will that work? Will the boiler have the power supply it needs?

Or will I continue to need this 3 core separate power cable to supply the boiler?

Your advice/guidance will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you are over thinking a problem that you do not have, the hive will simply replace the salus receiver, no need to go any where near the boiler wiring , all the wires you need will be there in the salus

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for replying lanmcd. You may be right about the over thinking but the Salus is a wireless controller that is attached to the boiler using a ribbon wire connector. There may be wires going into the the external thermostat terminals inside the boiler, but I don’t know.
However, my question is to do with the power cable that supplies the boiler. Can it be removed from the boiler and go into the new Hive controller, and then a 5 core spur run from the Hive to the boiler? And will this be able to power the boiler?

thanks

Ah see now you forgot to mention that your salus receiver was built in to the boiler facia, that is a completely different set up, pics are better than a thousand words

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back