Hive V1 on a Potterton Promax HE with Legrand Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please do not duplicate your threads
Hi all,
I just bought a Hive V1 system from Toolstation for £60... I know bargain right
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...ntrol+&+Thermostat+Heating+&+Hot+Water/p87054

Anyways Im looking to replace my old timer / programmer (currently fitted to the wall) with the Hive reciever.
Also looking to get rid of the old Legrand 498 90 room thermostat (in the hall) and and run programming and room thermostat from the Hive controller.

2017-06-01 13_02_47-Potterton_Promax_HE_Plus_Install.pdf.png

I have not undertaken this yet but hopefully it would be straight forward, thinking that it will be pretty similar to the 7 day programmer that is currently on the wall.
the current 7 day timer lets me have either HW or Heating seperately

What i need your help on is the old thermostat. its an old mechanical 2 wire (+ earth) therm.
20161008_135108-jpg.106489

Can the two wires be connected together to make a straight live as i believe its a switched live then get rid of the legrand therm altogether?
If i do that , Is there anything i need would i need to change when the wiring to the hive receiver.

Im at work atm but can give more info & photos on the current programmer/timer when i het back.

Just trying to foresee any major hiccups i may have.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Sponsored Links
Can the two wires be connected together to make a straight live as i believe its a switched live then get rid of the legrand therm altogether?
If i do that , Is there anything i need would i need to change when the wiring to the hive receiver.

Yes, but you would need to leave a blanking plate or similar in the position where the thermostat was in order for the cabling to be within safe zones. The better solution would be to disconnect the thermostat at the wiring centre/junction box and bypass it at that point.
Any unused cables should be tied to mains earth.

Sponsored Links
You have all the info you need if you read both threads. If you need to ask anything else just add it to this one.

In any event, from reading your first post, it appears to me that you understand what you are doing and had it worked out for yourself pretty much anyway and just wanted some confirmation. Most folks seem to ask about changing the programmer wiring, but completely miss the point about decommissioning the original wired programmer, or just disconnect it and wonder why the Hive doesn't work.

I wouldn't worry too much about Taylortwocites comment, I think from what he says he probably misread your original post and thought you were going to try and swap the old thermostat (ie not the programmer) for the Hive. If you look back at other threads you will see many others have done exactly what you propose when installing Hive or Nest units.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back