Hive & Volkera Linea 726

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I'm looking to install hive on a Volkera Linea 726 boiler. There is a clock installed on the boiler and I have a Honeywell Thermostat on the wall.

I believe it's best to leave the clock in place (permanently on) and simply install the thermostat?

The existing thermostat has a red wire in 1, blue in 2 and yellow in 3. Does anyone know how I should wire these to the Hive thermostat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Zinc oxide, this Hive and Nest thing is getting a little too regular. If you search these pages for the said thermostats, you will find the answer posted many times over.

Now there is no pain without gain. To help you on your way, I am going to ask you, what is the function of the blue conductor. If you have difficulty answering this question, look in the boiler manual. It is all there. Hive and Nest might be a fancy programmer, but end of the day it performs the function of a simple switch

You may think I have not been helpful, those who can make sense of what is written will have no issues doing what you propose to, and finally the regulars who are sick of responding to your quest question will only shake that head reading this often asked question

Three phase colours were red, yellow and blue, now brown, black, and grey and so three core and earth cable was often red, yellow and blue even with a single phase supply, in theory there should be sleeves on the cables two red and one black, but that was rare. Since red, yellow and blue were all phase colours there was nothing to say which colour should be used for what, often blue was used for neutral with red supply in and yellow supply out, but it did not have to be.

So first thing is you need to look at the boiler or old thermostat, and see how the colours were used on your system. Pages 15 and 16 show connections on the manual also 39 to 42 I have in the past jumped in to say how to wire Hive or Nest, then I found there are different versions likely USA and UK, but as a result I don't give advice any more as so easy to get it wrong, specially where bought using the internet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much - I know there are lots of posts on here, I only wanted to check my understanding.

I'll take another look at the wiring tonight. Am I really just comparing the colour of the wires at the boiler to those on the thermostat?

Am I right in thinking I only replace the thermostat and leave the clock permanently on?

Be easier to put the clock in permanent on mode and let the new device control the boiler.

Blue wire will be redundant unless neutral is required
Yellow and red should be demand loop to run the boiler.

If not sure, do not experiment

Jeez DP, understand that you may be annoyed at seeing the same questions on here but C'Mon people come on here to get help and think maybe that their boiler and controls are different and are genuinely stuck. They're not doing it to be a pain.
Best thing is ignore the thread if it annoys you that much.

Make stickys of how to install guides etc might be a way to limit the same questions appearing but I believe that a forum is what the members make it!
Rant over

Am I really just comparing the colour of the wires at the boiler to those on the thermostat?
You are comparing where the wires are connected in the boiler - colours on their own mean nothing.
Most installers would use certain colours for certain functions, but you cannot just assume that - someone else may have wired it differently.

That is why 'place red wire into terminal E' type of advice is usually a complete waste of time - the fact a wire is red isn't confirmation of where the other end is connected.

Am I right in thinking I only replace the thermostat and leave the clock permanently on?
That is an option.
Another option would be to remove or disable the clock so the boiler is only controlled by the external thermostat.

Your existing thermostat is a switch which turns on/off as the temperature of the room changes.
The new device is a switch which turns on/off based on the time of day, temperature of the room and various other factors.

Ultimately they are both just a switch. Two wires either connected together to make the boiler operate, or the same two wires not connected so the boiler doesn't operate.
Many thermostats also require mains power for a fancy display or wireless connections to other devices and so on. The control part is still just a basic switch.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Jeez DP, understand that you may be annoyed at seeing the same questions on here but C'Mon people come on here to get help and think maybe that their boiler and controls are different and are genuinely stuck. They're not doing it to be a pain.
Best thing is ignore the thread if it annoys you that much.

Make stickys of how to install guides etc might be a way to limit the same questions appearing but I believe that a forum is what the members make it!
Rant over

Perhaps you may want to read all my replies again before you throw a wobbly
Needless, I do not normally respond to such posts as replies appear to running as a loop.
Perhaps you may want to give some consideration to the fact if the new owner of this wonderful gadget is not able to follow instructions and ends up getting an electrical shock or killing the pcb.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back