HIVE wiring confirmation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have just got myself a HIVE and am setting about installing it all. Seems simple enough and I thought I would give it a go myself.

This shows my existing wiring along with existing controller.

27469076641_0211b462ff_z.jpg

26932820823_b4d7e223f8_z.jpg

This diagram is for the HIVE, I have the dual channel example.

Hive%2BReceiver%2BWiring%2BDiagram.png

To me, it looks like I do not have to change the wiring on the existing backplate as someone mentioned that the hive will work just like my existing one.

I just want to make sure that is the case before I go ahead?

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't even need to change the backplate AFAIK - I think Hive just clips straight on

No need go replace back plate, if you really want to the wiring is identical.

Thanks guys,

All hooked up. The only issue is that the central heating doesn't seem to come on. If I set the target temp to 32degrees and turn the heating on, via the boost function or the button on the receiver, nothing happens. If I do the same for the hot water, the boiler comes alive...

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a Y plan (one valve with 3 pipes) or a S plan (2 valves) system?
Could you have the heating on on it's own before?
Do you already have a room thermostat in?

Hi John,

I'll need to check on the Y and S plan once I'm home this evening, I have no idea right now.

Yes I could, I would always be able to switch the heating on on it's own.

I did have a room thermostat, the typical dial one, this had 4 wires going to it, live, neutral, ground and a grey one. I have since taken this down since fitting the hive but wiring is still accessible for the moment. Does the grey need to be joined to something?

Thank you
Mark

Two of the wires will need to be linked but you will have to trace them you cant go by colours, is there not a wiring diagram on the back of the old thermostat ?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes there is a wiring diagram. From memory, black was neutral, brown was live and grey was "call for heat". The ground was ground.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back