Hive wiring confirmation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’ve wired my new hive up as per the below photo. I couldn’t find the exact wiring as what I had to deal with, so I was just wondering if someone could confirm I’ve done the right thing. It seems to be working, but would appreciate some peace of mind.

I had to remove a wall mounted thermostat, which I just disconnected, and then I bridged the live as per the photo in the hive box.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2C2BDE4E-FE5B-4CAB-9A82-B4EE99AC917C.jpeg
    2C2BDE4E-FE5B-4CAB-9A82-B4EE99AC917C.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As long as the boiler model is correct, you have taken out the 24v RT link and you have a single channel Hive then yes; it is technically correct.

The simple test is, does it work?

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t take out anything from the boiler, as I couldn’t see anything to take out, unless it was done in the wiring hub I removed? What would happen if I didn’t remove it?

Thanks again.

Here’s a picture of the wires in the boiler:

Attachments

• EE063F5B-8D6B-4C2D-91E9-0577B0AC6BB2.jpeg
    EE063F5B-8D6B-4C2D-91E9-0577B0AC6BB2.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 67
What would happen if I didn’t remove it?

It would be on 24/7 and you'd be getting a Christmas Card from your gas supplier as well as taking a quick trip to TKMAXX to buy some Speedo's for lounging around the house in ;)

That looks like a Vaillant, for safety's sake... Please make sure you check that case on refitting... This boiler's front panel should only be removed by a RGI.

It would be on 24/7 and you'd be getting a Christmas Card from your gas supplier as well as taking a quick trip to TKMAXX to buy some Speedo's for lounging around the house in ;)

That looks like a Vaillant, for safety's sake... Please make sure you check that case on refitting... This boiler's front panel should only be removed by a RGI.

Thanks for the reply. So the two aren’t linked are they?

I when you say check the case, what am I checking? It was literally one screw, and some clips to get it off. Didn’t seem complicated or dangerous to me.

Depending on the model, you will have an RT24v connection as well, this needs to be removed to enable the RT240v - It is likely that the installer removed this when they fitted the appliance; but if the appliance is running 24/7 - It is usually this 24v connection.

As for the case; it is a simple casing system. But it does need to be checked and tested as it forms a secondary seal by being under negative pressure when in use. There is probably a big yellow sticker on the air inlet duct warning of the dangers of using the appliance with this front panel missing or incorrectly fitted, although it does depend on the variant as I have noticed a few of them are sticker-less these days. What are you checking? Is it on properly and is it leaking excessively.

Depending on the model, you will have an RT24v connection as well, this needs to be removed to enable the RT240v - It is likely that the installer removed this when they fitted the appliance; but if the appliance is running 24/7 - It is usually this 24v connection.

As for the case; it is a simple casing system. But it does need to be checked and tested as it forms a secondary seal by being under negative pressure when in use. There is probably a big yellow sticker on the air inlet duct warning of the dangers of using the appliance with this front panel missing or incorrectly fitted, although it does depend on the variant as I have noticed a few of them are sticker-less these days. What are you checking? Is it on properly and is it leaking excessively.

Got it thanks. It definitely did not feel like it was sealed in any way, like I said, it had just one screw holding it on. I’ll double check it tonight. In any case I’m getting some heaters fitted, and I’ll have them service/check the boiler at the same time.

The boiler isn’t going constantly so I think that’s fine.

Sounds good - If it is a Vaillant, it should have two metallic latches at the bottom to grip the front corners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back