HIVE wiring help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I live in the UK and my home has a oil fired boiler which is gravity fed. I bought a hive dual channel receiver as my home has a separate hot water tank. It turns out that the switching for the hot water is within the boiler outhouse so I will only be able to set up for a single channel. Is this still going to work with a dual channel receiver? I don't have a NC wire and after trying different configurations the boiler won't fire. I've placed the old box back on and everything works fine? Has anyone got any ideas? What's the right wiring configuration?

Attachments

• 20191102_192402.jpg
    20191102_192402.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 440
Sponsored Links
Yes you can use it just to control the central heating, but obviously the hot water part won't operate anything.

Wire in Danfoss L = Hive Dual Channel L (remove and discard the link between L and terminal 4)
Wires in Danfoss N = Hive Dual Channel N
Wire in Danfoss 5 = Hive Dual Channel 4 'Heating ON'

You don't actually say what the Danfoss unit you are replacing is. I'm guessing that its a Programmer. So, if there is also an existing room thermostat elsewhere then that will need to be set to, and left on its maximum setting (so that it doesn't interfere with the the Hive) or it can decommissioned properly by making a small wiring modification to bridge the switching terminals. Post back details if this is the case and you need any help. It can't just be disconnected.

Edit
Depending upon how it is presently wired, you may be able to move the Hot Water control wiring from the boiler house to the Hive.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help. Boiler is running fine now with hive. There's no thermostat in the house that I'm aware of, the danfloss set1e is only a timer unit I believe. The boiler setup is quite antiquated. There a switch within the boiler outhouse which I'm told turns off the central heating and only heats water.

Sponsored Links
If the original timeswitch only controlled the on / off times for the central heating and not the hot water too, then all is well, and what is written below can be ignored.

However, if the original timeswitch controlled the heating and the hot water, then obviously as the Hive has replaced it, it will now be doing the same. That means that the hot water will only work when the heating is 'on' and the Hive thermostat is also actually calling for heat.

If that's how it is, when the Hive turns off the heating, it will stop heating the hot water as well. It will likely work OK in the winter, as the heating will be on much of the time. However you will probably find in the summer when you just want hot water, you will have to have the Hive (which has replaced the timeswitch) on and calling for heat to get any hot water heated. OK, the existing switch will turn off the radiators, so they won't actually get hot, but it's a bit of a fudge.

To use the Hive properly, it would at least require rewiring of the heating system, and possibly plumbing modifications to incorporate motorised valve control.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back