Hive wiring (yes I know another one!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,am after some advice about wiring Hive heating controls in to replace existing Drayton control system. Heating is I believe Y plan with seperate hot water tank and 3 port valve. I understand the Hive receiver is a straight forward clip in to existing backplate. I'm not sure about how to remove existing WR1 receiver and what to do with the wires inside it? Have attached some pictures which hopefully will help!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Disconnect all the wires (which are a right mess anyway) going to the WR1 and move the white wire going into terminal 4 to terminal 3.
Then as you say the hive receiver will just go onto the same backplate as your existing clock.

Disconnect all the wires (which are a right mess anyway) going to the WR1 and move the white wire going into terminal 4 to terminal 3.
Then as you say the hive receiver will just go onto the same backplate as your existing clock.

Really -as simple as that? And yep the wiring is fairly crappy looking! My inner OCD may kick in when I do it and tidy them up a bit!

Many thanks!

Yes that's all there is to it.
So long as you have got the dual channel hive that controls hot water and heating and not the single channel that only does heating.

Your welcome

Sponsored Links
I've yet to see one carried out to an acceptable, workman like standard in this part of the country.

Yep awful work by british gas, didnt even bother connecting the live wire in the WR1.....shoddy.

Yes that's all there is to it.
So long as you have got the dual channel hive that controls hot water and heating and not the single channel that only does heating.

Your welcome

All up and running as it should be! Thanks again.

Disconnect all the wires (which are a right mess anyway)
The majority of heating systems I've seen, seem to be wired badly. In fact, I reckon 80% are far worse than this. OK it might not be the neatest, but the connections look reasonable. There aren't several mm of visible conductor showing, or wire whiskers poking out. The cable clamps seem to have been used, and cables are clipped (with the exception of the wireless receiver) and the wires don't seem to have been installed using some form of crochet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back