Hive2 into a Potterton Titanium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this question has been asked multiple times previously.
I have searched this forum and google for any guides for my specific boiler/setup however was unsuccessful...

So yesterday I received 2 X Hive2 united.
One for my parents house and one for mine.

My parents boiler was a Vaillant Ecotech 824 which had an existing drayton wireless thermostat which was really easy to install as all I had to do was use the existing wires - the backplate to the Hive was the same.

However my boiler is a Potterton Titanium and the setup is different and doesn't seem as straight forward.

Currently the setup is as follows -

Honeywell 7 day thermostat (cm900) on the hallway wall which is wired by a 2 core straight into the boiler.

Boiler in the utilities area directly into power socket switch.

Would I be able to replicate this setup?
I assume I may need another 2/3 way core to use for the receiver?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Can you see where the 2 core wire leaves the boiler on it's way to the old thermostat?
The best plan is to mount the Hive receiver near the boiler then you can connect those 2 cores to terminals 1 & 3 in the Hive receiver. The receiver also needs a mains feed of Live and Neutral taken from the same outlet that supplies the boiler with power.

Can you see where the 2 core wire leaves the boiler on it's way to the old thermostat?
The best plan is to mount the Hive receiver near the boiler then you can connect those 2 cores to terminals 1 & 3 in the Hive receiver. The receiver also needs a mains feed of Live and Neutral taken from the same outlet that supplies the boiler with power.

Just double checked - There are 2 grey wires that are at the back of the boiler that go into the power socket of the boiler.
Another white cable that goes from the circuit board of the boiler to the power socket as well.
Last white cable that goes from the thermostat to the boiler circuit board

Sponsored Links
If you are certain that's the room thermostat cable does it look like there would be enough of it near the boiler to connect up to the hive receiver?
Bear in mind you don't want the receiver mounted very close to the boiler chassis as this could have an effect on how well it communicates with the Hive thermostat.

Last edited:
If you are certain that's the room thermostat cable does it look like there would be enough of it near the boiler to connect up to the hive receiver?
Bear in mind you don't want the receiver mounted very close to the boiler chassis as this could have an effect on how well it communicates with the Hive thermostat.

Just opened up the thermostat housing and it also has 2 wires as well.
It doesn't look like there is enough of the wire to install on the receiver which would be 30cm away though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back