HMRC Contact re Government Gateway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a long shot, here goes.
I had a UK Gov Gateway Acc. (13 years old now)
I couldn't access it, (apparently it had been closed, they cant tell me why), so I was advised to create a new one.
There are so many hoops that you need to go through, so when it gets to the identity proving, I selected UK Passport & UK Driving licence.
These fail, you are not made aware of what one failed OR why.
I contact them via email again, they just cant help, so I telephoned, I got a very helpful lady who checked who I was by NI No. etc, she just advised me to try and create another new gateway number. Still no luck, further emails I'm told its my UK Driving licence that fails and I Should you passport & credit details (DVLA & UK Gov cant discuss with each other).
So I tried credit details, I was only certain of one question (where was I living 22 years ago), all the others I had to guess.
ANYWAY I failed.
Tried on line bot chat, cant help, phone is 40min wait.
I'm like a dog with a bone I don't want to give up.
They know who I am because they pay my pension in to a UK account & are happy to tax tax from me.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
is it the quality of your images? Sometimes they don’t like Apple heic format. You need to convert to jpeg

It's worth getting someone to sit with you if you can find someone and try again. Can be stressful and you probably are not confident you're going to gain access, which makes you feel very unsure. Another pair of eyes reading and helping you may get you over the line.
Unfortunately your going to have to login via the internet using personal information.
Only other way is get an accountant to access your data but that won't be free

Sponsored Links
I failed with my driving licence as well, managed to register using my last p60 and an old credit card.
-

I failed with the government gateway loads of times.
Hate the site.

I eventually passed, when you do make sure you have a damn good copy of your login details, I use a password manager for this.

I failed with the government gateway loads of times.
Hate the site.

I eventually passed, when you do make sure you have a damn good copy of your login details, I use a password manager for this.
My iPad automatically offers to enter my name and password in when I open the government gateway page. It then texts me a code to enter. I can choose for the code to be remembered for 7 days if I want.

Cant be an image problem (passport & driving licence the same image).
Their own facial image ling = page not found.
The issue with credit reference checks is they are asking OLD questions, apart from credit cards I don't know the answers.
The problem as I see it is that Banks dont pass info to UK Gov. due to privacy.
The data security act gives lots of problems, but clearly dose not get to the nitty gritty as people still find ways round it.

My iPad automatically offers to enter my name and password in when I open the government gateway page. It then texts me a code to enter. I can choose for the code to be remembered for 7 days if I want.
Thats not the issue, I cant get beyond that.

It's worth getting someone to sit with you if you can find someone and try again. Can be stressful and you probably are not confident you're going to gain access, which makes you feel very unsure. Another pair of eyes reading and helping you may get you over the line.
Unfortunately your going to have to login via the internet using personal information.
Only other way is get an accountant to access your data but that won't be free
I am confident, I have tried all permutations upper/lower date formats. Its like a lot of Govenment things ie not fit for purpose. I can telephone a bank & they can check me, but I cant call Gov Gateway except to be told try again.

Yeah. It's frustrating. I guess they can't do anything as not possible to hand out access passwords over phone.

I have a foggy memory of using phone to gain access and seeing a warning about image not good enough when I scanned driving licence with camera under artificial light. Think that was HMRC as done that several times to prove identity as not uncommon.

If you got an accountant go ask for help. They can get in and see your information and maybe able to help you setup

i am on government gateway joined some time ago perhaps 5 years no real proof as i dont have other than a bus pass and cant scan so assume at the time it was ni number and other very basic checks??

well thats interesting i dont know iff its fully random assuming my phone number is 123456 my code 4321 with 56being 10 more or 432166 so exactly my phone number in a different order but second to last didget plus 1

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back