ho guys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok so i have moved house
in old house i fitted a electric shower from a mains fed cold feed

my new house i dont have that option too far from fuse box
i have a worcester combi boiler running at 1 bar(i could turn it up)
for ease of fitting i dont want to install another electric shower i would have to totaly retile the whole room as there is no access
so my question is
a mixer shower that runs from the combi and or the cold feed aswell?
i have acess to both hot and cold pipes just not able to run a electric cable
can anyone advise what i need?
one guy who works for the people i rent off told me i need a thermo mixer or something???? can anyone explain more?
i am pretty good at plumbing etc but never fitted any showers that were not from just a cold feed
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I don't know what water pressures and plumbing methods are like in the BVI, I only know the UK are parts of Europe.

hi thanks for the reply
i am in the uk
but couldnt find uk, great britain or england on the list lol

found it now :p

What is a "ho guy"

Sounds like a rap / r'n'b description of a man who performs certain favours for men for money...?

Sponsored Links
if you have a combi boiler, the water pressure on the hot and cold pipes will be the same, so you can fit a mixer shower. Have a look for any 15mm ball-type service valves on the pipes as these will constrict flow. Fit a full bore or gate-valve instead. A thermostatic or pressure-balancing shower mixer will be preferable if people are likely to be turning hot or cold taps on and off while you are in the shower.

The pressure gauge on the boiler is nothing to do with the water in the taps, it is the pressure in the radiators.

ahh thanks for that john very helpfull
i didnt know that the preasure was just for the rads(but would explian why every time i bleed them the preasure drops :p) not sure if it matters but we had to have a remote expansion tank fitted to the combi a few months ago as it kept cutting out

it is likely in a house with 2 adults and 2 kids with a washer and dishwasher that water will be being used while the shower is being used
so is it the preasure balencing shower i want? if so is that what i need to google for or is there a trade name for that type of shower?

there are no valves on the pipes at all
i intend on fitting 2 to the pipes i add for the shower

axel lol
it was a typo was supposed to be
hi guys

whats axel anyway?
i know of axel rose a singer
his name is an annagram of oral sex :p
may explain why you jumped to your conclusion :p

ahh thanks for that john very helpfull
i didnt know that the preasure was just for the rads(but would explian why every time i bleed them the preasure drops :p) not sure if it matters but we had to have a remote expansion tank fitted to the combi a few months ago as it kept cutting out

it is likely in a house with 2 adults and 2 kids with a washer and dishwasher that water will be being used while the shower is being used
so is it the preasure balencing shower i want? if so is that what i need to google for or is there a trade name for that type of shower?

there are no valves on the pipes at all
i intend on fitting 2 to the pipes i add for the shower

That pressure gage you are looking at is just for the radiators it is telling you the pressure of the sealed system

if you keep having to bleed them, they are presumably producing gas, which means the radiators are corroding inside. This produces hydrogen gas and black iron oxide.

if it is losing water and you have to keep topping it up with fresh water, fix the cause.

then (or anyway) give it at least a chemical clean and rinse and finally refill using inhibitor. I usually use Sentinel X400 to clean and X100 inhibitor, but I have never had to do a pressurised system (I am a householder not a pro) so will let someone else say how to do it

ok update and a problem if anyone can help me please
i bought a hansgrohe verso centostat exposed bath/shower set
its fitted on 22mm feeds for both hot and cold
the hot is from a combi boiler
the cold is from a tank in the atic (that feeds the bath, basin and toilet up stairs hence my problem, there isnt enough cold water preasure as the tank is only about 2ft above the shower head
in bath filling mode all is well but in shower mode it makes an awfull noise when its trying to add the cold water

so im after advice i cant lift the tank any higher, so i think from reading i need a pump to increase the cold preasure

but im wondering why the bathroom cold is fed from storage tank? and downstairs is mains fed
can i do away with the tank? and connect the mains feed for it to the pipe that drops down into the bathroom? there seems loads of preasure in the atic

as your hot water comes from a combi, your shower must be fed with mains pressure cold.

usually when a combi is fitted, the loft cold water tank is taken out at teh same time as the cylinder, and all cold supplies are changed to mains pressure supply. Though this does make WC cisterns noisier when refilling, and the other usual problems from sharing an often restricted water supply between several outlets means that you will notice flow at one tap reduces when another is turned on, or if e.g. the washing machine starts taking in water.

If you remove all pipes and tanks from the loft you will not have to worry about freezing up there

thanks john
as the mains riser and the feed back down into my bathroom run side by side in what used to be the boiler cuboard next to the bathroom i suppose it would be acceptable to cut both pipes and connect them together as low down as possible? (after draining the tank and turning water off :p )
as for the noise it would add to the toilet refil could a service valve not fully opened be used? or would it cause just as much noise?

thanks for your help

a partially open service valve makes quite a lot of noise on mains pressure

you could just fit new quiet ball valves instead (these do not have the long arm and float)

I like Torbecks but there are a couple of other makes available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back