Hole around cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking to replace my cooker hood. As you can see from the pic, the chimney part goes through part of the kitchen unit. The hole is approx 235mm wide and 180mm deep. (Ducting exposed as I unscrewed it to investigate what's underneath)

Problem is the hole was clearly made for that specific hood and most newer ones are smaller. For example, the modern version of the same model has a chimney which is the same depth but only 198mm wide and I'm concerned that the gaps would look a bit naff (although maybe in reality it wouldn't look so bad).

Alternatively there are ones around 220mm wide which would be nearly enough, but not quite as deep, e.g. I saw one that's 222mm x 167.5mm.

If I compromise on one of the dimensions, does anyone know if gaps in the width or depth would be more noticeable?

Attachments

• 20200229_150037.jpg
    20200229_150037.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
Easy enough to make up an mdf collar to hide any gap and paint it to match lighting panel .

Have you considered getting a piece of 1mm stainless steel sheet slightly larger than the new cooker hood (big enough to cover the existing hole but also big enough to get an even reveal around 3 sides of the new cooker hood chimney), cutting a hole in it for the exhaust pipe and screwing and gluing that to the underside of the flyover? A word of advice - you'll almost certainly need to degrease the underside of the flyover to make this work as in even the cleanest of households the areas around cook tops can easily collect oil and grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP,
whatever else you do, replace that ducting - its a fire hazard and a health hazard.
ducting in metal is best - buy expensive.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back