Hole around gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How should I fill the hole around this pipe?

PS Does that pipe look OK? Looks a bit rusty :(

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 979
Sponsored Links
The pipe should be fine - is that fitting a Tee with a branch going into the wall? If so, where does the branch go?

Typically, you can fill the hole with a plug of sand and cement or lime.

My eyes cannot see the pipe sleeve?

Is there one?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes it's a Tee that goes into the wall. The gas meter is on the other side of the wall.

I'll fill the hole with sand and cement.

Thanks

That's a good idea.

It will not comply with the Gas Regulations but at least the mice will not get in.

Tony

The pipe should be fine - is that fitting a Tee with a branch going into the wall? If so, where does the branch go?

Typically, you can fill the hole with a plug of sand and cement or lime.

This comment is from someone giving his location as California who does not understand the Gas Regulations! Or have any concern for anyone's safety either.

Hey drama queen, I well understand the gas regs pal, having been gas qualified in two countries since the seventies FWIW. Never had a single call back when i worked gas.
Not to Current Standard means no immediate need for a mechanical change - read the Regs they'll tell you. If you look closely at the pic you might see what is possibly a large diameter pipe sleeve.

"My eyes cannot see ..." what an "Oh Dear" way of talking - you poor thing.
I dont think that you've spent 10 mins on a site or ever worked with other plumbing trades people. Your posts indicate that you are definitely not apprentice trained. Where did you do your 5 day course - at home?

Do you consider that location defines the quality of advice? Is this connected with some difficulty with your eyesight or hearing?
How far from home do you circle the authentic information wagons?
The pic on your posts show a pretty weird looking coot, & you have a fey way of expression but i dont think these things have anything to do with the standard of your advice. Just saying.

Hmm what's the verdict then? Am I meant to sleeve the pipe before filling the hole?

Pipe should be sleeved. There may or may not be a sleeve there, but it the sleeve should be at least level with the wall surface. Too late, practically speaking, to do anything about it. Use your sand and cement, but wrap the pipe first.

The pipe does go into a sleeve/tube but it doesn't come right up to the wall suface, its a few cm short. It's curious that someone filled the bottom part of this hole with mortar but not the top.

IMG_0510.JPG

Meanwhile on the gas meter side I can't see the sleeve as it's obscured by strange putty.

IMG_0511.JPG

Just wrap the short bits of unsleeved pipe in tape to protect from lime in the cement and fill.
Denso tape is what is normally used but any protective tape will do.

If you want to be meticulous, a bit of plastic pipe cut down its length, snap it over the pipe and then tape to seal it up

From Gas Safety regulations

Enclosed pipes

19.—(1) No person shall install any part of any installation pipework in a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction unless it is so constructed and installed as to be protected against failure caused by the movement of the wall, the floor or the standing as the case may be.

(2) No person shall install any installation pipework so as to pass through a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction (whether or not it contains any cavity) from one side to the other unless—

(a)any part of the pipe within such wall, floor or standing as the case may be takes the shortest practicable route; and

(b)adequate means are provided to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, any escape of gas from the pipework passing through the wall, floor or standing from entering any cavity in the wall, floor or standing.

Regulation 19.2 (b) above implies that split sleeves are unsuitable whether or not the wall is of cavity construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back