Hole in wall for RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
New member looking for some advice if builder is right in his approach.
I have a 30's solid wall end of terrace house with a side garage attached, to which i would like to have access from inside the house.

The builder i have hired for the job has cut into the solid 9" thick wall with a grinder and supported it on acro-props.I also hired a building surveyor who has designed a 7x4 beam x2 bolted together.

Problem is the builder gave the job to an apprentice, who could not cut the wall in straight line.Builder has not put 2 plywood frame against the wall with a brace and filling the broken bricks and missing bricks spaces and all sorts with dry concrete mix(ballast and sharp sand).Is this right? I would have thought that either the bricks should have been cut straight,or a new course should have been rebuild.Will the beam fall on my head because there is nothing holding it except the concrete ends on a wall which is mixture of bricks and concrete mortar.

The job is not cheap, and i have not hired a cowboy.He gave me a good price to which i agreed after looking at the job across the road.I just want piece of mind if he is correct.The opening will be for a single sliding door (track being fitted inside the web of the steel to a timber).I will upload picture once home.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The double steels need to sit on a brick bearing each side, say 200mm or whatever the engineer has specified.

As long there is enough minimum bearing at each end before the sides have been made good that is fine.

if the steels are supported only by backfill concrete, that is not fine.

How far out of straight has the opening been made?

The double steels need to sit on a brick bearing each side, say 200mm or whatever the engineer has specified.

As long there is enough minimum bearing at each end before the sides have been made good that is fine.

if the steels are supported only by backfill concrete, that is not fine.

How far out of straight has the opening been made?

The opening has been irregular.God knows whether the apprentice was drunk on site that he could not get a straight line.
It seems like 4 courses above the whole brick is missing and then it follows fine. till the bearing.The steel as i can see have 200mm bearing,but the builder has filled the concrete and made it like a lintel instead of bricks under the bearing.

Sponsored Links
What does the council's building inspector say?
Building inspector has not been round yet as the job cannot be covered in plaster before he inspects.I needed a opinion here before i call him and get it done with.

Without seeing the extent of it, it's hard to make an assessment. It may or may not be OK, but the opinion that matters is that from the inspector

I should imagine that the Inspector would be equally concerned about the fire-rating of the door (should be 30 mins.) and whether there was a step down into the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back