Hole in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking to understand how I can fill a hole in the side of my house. The part of the house with the hole was built in the 1860 so is made up of very thick walls and stone.

The hole itself is approx 30cm and about meter deep, and has steel all the way through the hole (which I assume I'll need to get out some how). This was a flue for a wood burner that has now gone and has been replaced by vents. This also used to be the old chimney which has been capped off.

The guys who removed the flue said they couldn't fill the hole due to gasses.

I would like to fill this hole as it let's a draft in. Research I have done, doesn't seem to have an issue with gasses as the hole will be completely filled. I'm also thinking of doing a lime morter due to the stone walls.

A builder however has suggested filling with cement then damp proof course and cement then DPC etc. Until full.

The hole is about a meter off the ground and then tunnels on an angle into the house.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240131_112232.jpg
    20240131_112232.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240131_112147.jpg
    20240131_112147.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240130_131102.jpg
    20240130_131102.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
a flue for a wood burner that has now gone and has been replaced by vents.
Is there any type of fuel burning heating source ( stove. wood burner, gas or oil boiler ) in the room ?
If there is then the vents may be essential to supply air for safe combustion to the heating source

Is there any type of fuel burning heating source ( stove. wood burner, gas or oil boiler ) in the room ?
If there is then the vents may be essential to supply air for safe combustion to the heating source
Hi Ben, no there is nothing there anymore. Just a feature fireplace now. Room to warmed by a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back