Holes are too big.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace existing recessed downlights (reflector bulb type) with smaller ones (the GU10 type). The holes for the existing lights are too big to accomadate the smaller ones. My question is how do I fill the hole?
I cannot gain access to them from the floor above (fitted furniture).

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
i am no professional but my attempt would be similar to how i have just filled unwanted down lighter holes.

use No nails to glue 4 pieces of wood around the hole edge but on the top side of the cieling. ( i used straight across as was covering the hole up.

Cut a piece of plaster the size of the old hole.
then recut new lights into it.

Attach new plaster hoop to the wooden frame with glue and screws and sink them slightly so you can cover them.

If you haven't got much space between diameter size of each light it probably wont work but I would still have a good try.

I am sure some professionals here have some more answers bet plenty of peeps have found the same problem.

Also you could always dismantle fitted furniture ;)
OJ

another way could be to cut wood circle larger than hole in cieling , then cut new size with in it, then cut it in half.

Put both pieces up through the hole and seal them back together with wood strips.

Then glue to the back of the cieling and continue the same as above.

This way at least you would have a full circle of identicle size to hold the hoop of plater board you are attaching

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back