Holes around gas & hot water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We live in a semi-detached house and occasionally get smells into our kitchen from our neighbours.

From what I can see, this could be coming from 1 of 2 ways; through the extractor fan in some way or through the pipes that go through some of the party wall.

Our extractor fan looks like it goes through the party wall and exits onto the neighbours side through a vent. I am thinking that perhaps our extractor hose vents into the same space that theirs does and so their smells could be finding their way down our extractor fan route.

The other option is one I would like to sort anyway and so I have taken a picture:

You can see that I have a cold water pipe and hw pipe going through the wall on the left and a gas one of the right. It seems that these pipes go through half the breeze block of the cavity wall. Is there a way for me to seal these holes just in case this is the source?

On the extractor fan front, I think the best bet is to speak with the neighbours and see their kitchen layout to determine if their extractor fan links into the same area as ours.

Sponsored Links
I dont understand, and please correct me if i have it wrong, but are you saying that your extractor fan vent and your h/w and c/w and gas pipes penetrate the party wall and enter your neighbour's kitchen?

Incidentally, when the base unit plinth is fitted then the gas isolator will become inaccessible. In fact it might be consideredto be in an inaccessible position at the moment - just saying.

Why on earth does your extractor fan head into your neighbours house?

Sounds like a practical joke of some kind to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back