Holophanes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've got the chance to get 3 holophane lights but I don't know about their adaptability for residential use. Namely, are they run on regular household power (110v here)? And how would one hang these?

1693407760053.png

Sponsored Links
In the UK Holophane is a trade name and not a type of lighting. Modern Holophane lamps are LED

Early Holophanes used high power tungsten lamps with plenty of ventilation to keep the lamp from getting too hot.

If the lamp holders are in good condition then almost any 110 V compatible lamp ( bulb ) could be used.

I don‘t see any space for ballasts so it seems likely that any domestic LED lamp with the appropriate base (ES26 if you‘re in the US I suppose) would work.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, you're going over my head, what are ballasts and why would they be a problem here?
Oh, sorry!

Industrial lights, like street lights, were often discharge lamps (mercury or sometimes sodium vapour) before high-power LEDs became common. These lamps need more or less complicated circuitry to work and that's known as a ballast. The ballast would be rated for a certain voltage, lamp type and lamp wattage and that specific lamp would have to be used. Ballasts can be wire-wound (chunky metal blocks like transformers) or electronic but both types take up considerable space in the fixture and should be easy to spot.

In the absence of a ballast it seems the fixtures were designed for incandescent lamps or possibly mains-voltage LEDs, which means you can use any domestic lamp you want, provided it fits the socket. BTW. I just noticed you're in Canada, sorry for assuming you're in the US! The electrical systems in the two countries are largely identical though.

It's hard to judge the size in the pictures, are the fixtures ES26 or is that a mogul base? If it's the latter you might want to replace the socket as ES26 LED lamps are much easier and cheaper to find than larger ones. For hanging them you might need some kind of adaptor plate that screws to your round ceiling boxes.

Oh, sorry!

Industrial lights, like street lights, were often discharge lamps (mercury or sometimes sodium vapour) before high-power LEDs became common. These lamps need more or less complicated circuitry to work and that's known as a ballast. The ballast would be rated for a certain voltage, lamp type and lamp wattage and that specific lamp would have to be used. Ballasts can be wire-wound (chunky metal blocks like transformers) or electronic but both types take up considerable space in the fixture and should be easy to spot.

In the absence of a ballast it seems the fixtures were designed for incandescent lamps or possibly mains-voltage LEDs, which means you can use any domestic lamp you want, provided it fits the socket. BTW. I just noticed you're in Canada, sorry for assuming you're in the US! The electrical systems in the two countries are largely identical though.

It's hard to judge the size in the pictures, are the fixtures ES26 or is that a mogul base? If it's the latter you might want to replace the socket as ES26 LED lamps are much easier and cheaper to find than larger ones. For hanging them you might need some kind of adaptor plate that screws to your round ceiling boxes.
Thank you SO much for all that explanation. Extremely useful. I was told they are each about 14 inches in diameter. I assume the person means along the opening on the lamp opening. But they literally said, "look, they're in good shape, they are in one piece, for anything about their functionality you'd have to be willing to just take that cahnce because I cant answer questions about that. They want $50 each and there are 3. I'm thinking, without knowing whether they can work or not, I'll offer $20 each. I ahve no idea how we would DIY ourselves an adaptor plate.

You would benefit from a photo from underneath, showing the socket, and including a measure to show the size.

you don't know how or if you can use them. They are an industrial size. Suitable for a barn or warehouse.

What makes you want to buy them?

You would benefit from a photo from underneath, showing the socket, and including a measure to show the size.

you don't know how or if you can use them. They are an industrial size. Suitable for a barn or warehouse.

What makes you want to buy them?
We want to buy them because we need new overhead kitchen lights, we love the look and that's about it.

They want $50 each and there are 3. I'm thinking, without knowing whether they can work or not, I'll offer $20 each.
Don't push it too hard, and risk losing them - even at $50 they're well into bite-their-hand-off territory. Worth far more. Possibly 10x that.

I suggest that you post on the North American site of https://www.diychatroom.com/forums/electrical.18/ for information as to how to "hang" those fittings, since there are particular "regulations" about the equipment (boxes) to be used to hang ceiling fittings in both the USA and Canada.
Well all the ones I've ever seen are just connecting lamps to the + and - wires in the ceiling. Nothing more complicated than that. But what I don't know about is the physical mounting to the ceiling with these lamps.

I'll go to that forum, thanks.

Last edited:
Well all the ones I've ever seen are just connecting lamps to the + and - wires in the ceiling. Nothing more complicated than that. But what I don't know about is the physical mounting to the ceiling with these lamps.

I'll go to that forum, thanks.
Which is why I suggested that "forum".

However, in reading the responses on that forum I was disappointed in that one responder somewhat "berated" you for
"Having no clue, and electrical, is always a poor combination."

Fora such as these are to help persons who have "no clue" - which I doubt applies to you.

However, in reading the responses on that forum I was disappointed in that one responder somewhat "berated" you for
"Having no clue, and electrical, is always a poor combination."
Which is exactly why here on another question I wrote this... (and thank you for your reply)
1694204842175.png

Where there's a will there's a way.

And once someone has their hands on them ideas on how to fix them might be prompted.
Thank you so much for EVERYTHING you said in your post. There's a reason I come here instead of North American sites and forums around me.

Sponsored Links
Back