Shaver adapter as USA adapter...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
So I tried to use shaver adapter as a US to UK adapter to power my notebook. It was working fine for some time, and then it stopped. Yep, fuse got blown...
Anyway, would replacing 1A fuse with higher rated fuse would be safe and feasible?
Thanks,
Jay

Sponsored Links
What notebook do you have? I've been in IT for over 20 years, and have never seen a *modern* notebook PSU which was not multi-voltage, i.e. suitable for 110V or 230V supplies. What connector is on the end of the mains flex which plugs into the power supply "brick"? If you can, post a photo of the connector and the details of the power supply printed on the "brick".

Sponsored Links
Something I overlooked last night! 1A (at 230V) is 230W. The largest laptop power brick I have seen outputs 120W. We all know Power in plus Losses = Power Out. So, even if the PSU was *horribly* inefficient it is unlikely it would draw sufficient current to blow the 1A fuse. IIRC BS1362 and the older BS (forgotten the number) can carry the rated current ad infinitum, but blow immediately once the current reaches double the rated value. Can anyone confirm this?

My initial reply was based on the (seemingly) incorrect assumption that a dual-voltage shaver socket (as used in UK bathrooms) was being used. Re-reading it and it reads as if a BS1363 to 2-pin adapter is being used.

Thus, it could be nothing more than the fuse failed due to "old age" or a previous overload. Of course, it is equally possible that the power "brick" is faulty and drawing excessive current. Fortunately, laptop power supplies are cheap enough!

Where was this ? If "adapting" a USA socket to a UK plug then almost certainly the supply voltage would have been 110 volt which would require the lap top power supply to take twice the current it would at 230 volt.

So it is possible that the 1 amp fuse was being asked to carry more than 1 amp.

The in rush current of the power supply module at switch on can be several amps and could be enough to blow a 1 amp fuse.

Shaver adapters normally will take the round pins of a UK shaver flex or the US flat type. I would guess the adapter was plugged into a 13 amp socket in UK.

Back