Home Blasting Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to make up a cabinet for occasional use of a recently purchased Lidl blasting attachment for my home compressor.
Was thinking of using a plastic storage box and have looked at similar sized cabinets on Google.
These all seem to have two glove holes for handling and I was wondering if it would be feasible to just have one glove hole (to manipulate the item), and use the gun from the outside of the box(through a cut out aperture), this would save having a quite large box hanging about when not in use.
I would welcome any advice, on this or generally.

Sponsored Links
Just a couple of points really:
Is your compressor big enough? Often blasting cabinets need 10 CFM constantly.
I'd be extremely wary about grit escaping to the atmosphere as it will also contain rust, paint, other metals or whatever - zinc being particularly noxious.
Lets know how you get on!
John :)

I'd be extremely wary about grit escaping to the atmosphere as it will also contain rust, paint, other metals or whatever - zinc being particularly noxious.

John :)

As above, you will be amazed at how much will escape, unless your cabinet is totally sealed.

There are many free plans & 1000's of build logs on this wonderful internets thingy for building blast cabinets.

I built mine out of plywood faced with 16swg aluminium :)

If you do any research whatsoever, you first need to discover that the whole journey is pointless unless you fully understand exactly what blasting is all about.

If you wish to use a Lidl blast gun with (assuming) a Lidl compressor, then a large cardboard box with the suction hose from a Lidl workshop vacuum cleaner taped to it will suffice to keep the dust down for the 3secs bursts of actual blasting you'll be doing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all for useful advice. I had begun to wonder if I was using a hammer........etc.
I do take the point re escaping grot. Had been leaning towards the cardboard box approach, for my small venture think this is the way to go.
After I've bothered the local supermarket for a suitable used container will let you know how I got on.

Just buy some large rubber gauntlets from ebay and a pair of large jubilee clips and you're good to go. I say that, I think you'll find the comments above regarding performance are spot on. Media blasting using a weak compressor is a no-go, and in case you were thinking about using ordinary sand to cut cost - do not! (Look up silicosis)

Nozzle

Thanks N. I'm doing this mainly as an exercise (frustrated engineer). I don't really intend to tackle anything much bigger than an egg-cup!
ps: correct sand came with the blaster but thanks for the warning any-way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back