Home insurance claim - any experiance ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any experience in home insurance claims , especially ones to do with burst pipes.
We had a pipe burst in the loft , which then flooded our oil boiler and then the lounge / dining/ kitchen and hallway.
Have had the drying company out and the insurance assessor .
Ceilings in all four rooms need to come down , some plasterwork re-newing and then rooms redecorating . Our main problem is the mahogany parquet flooring has lifted in areas.
Boiler is knackered , need a new one , however old one is 20years old and installation is not to todays standard , so boiler needs moving , therefore new pipe , plus valves , and tank is not to latest spec so told by boiler man it needs replacing. Can we expect insurance to pay all or just a partion ?
Generally I do most things myself , or at least all of the donkey work and then just get a man in for the odd job , so don't really know how much things are from scratch .
How do insurance companies cost up thing ? Do they have a flat figure per room?
The assessor said we would have 3 options , a cash payout - end of story , we get quotes for all work , or we give the keys to them - and pick the wallpaper.
If we take the cash option , is there any room to haggle ?
Anyone have any experience in either option ?

Sponsored Links
We had the exact same problem about 5 years ago. The assessor came out and got a company to come in ASAP and install heaters to dry the house out (dont forget to claim for the electricity they use which is a lot)

The majority of the work was carried out by contractors appointed by the assessors. They did give me the option of getting my own builders etc in and getting quotes which they would then pay.

All white goods in the kitchen including cookers etc where replaced but I wasnt happy with the style or design of them. They said if I went out and bought my own and sent them the receipts, they would just forward me a cheque, so I went out and got the best ones I could find.

Ask about living allowances too, we where paid about £10 per day per person until the work was done and the house was habitable again, this was due to the fact that we lived out of carrier bags for almost 2 weeks

Can't see them buying you a new boiler just because your last one got a bit wet. Don't tell them fibs either as they all use computerised lie detector technology.

Can't see them buying you a new boiler just because your last one got a bit wet. Don't tell them fibs either as they all use computerised lie detector technology.

If the boiler has been inspected by a professional and deemed to be damaged then the insurance should pay it out

Sponsored Links
How convenient eh? No wonder we all pay high premiums.

It's a public forum and it's my prerogative.

I haven't - but 4 out of 10 are.

Sponsored Links
Back