Home made conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a home made conservatory on the house I\\\'ve just moved into, and it has a downpipe against the house wall going through the conservatory roof. The roofing is polycarbonate sheets, nailed to wooden joists. The flashing is knackered, it looks like kitchen foil type stuff. I want to replace, to make the room watertight, as it currently isn\\\'t. I\\\'ve seen a roll of flashing tape in the ScrewFix catalogue but am beginning to make some enquiries to do it properly - any advice from you learned folks would be most welcome and appreciated?

Sponsored Links
ChrisInman said:
The roofing is polycarbonate sheets, nailed to wooden joists.
Shouldn't be nailed as the sheets need a expansion gap
I want to replace, to make the room watertight, as it currently isn't.
The best and the easiest way is to fit a Easy-fit Glazing Bar, forget about using flashing tape
easyfit-glazing-bar_S.gif

Other type of glazing bar here

Thanks for the useful feedback. Off the back of your response I've done a little research and I'll be buying new polycarb sheets and the glazing bars. Should sort the problem once and for all!!! Now on to the "hidden" gutter which is totally knackered ... I thought I'd place a piece of normal black plastic guttering in there, with flashing either side ... does that sound like something that might work?

Thanks again for the invaluable advice - much appreciated.

ChrisInman said:
Now on to the "hidden" gutter which is totally knackered ... I thought I'd place a piece of normal black plastic guttering in there, with flashing either side ... does that sound like something that might work?
Not sure what you mean, are you thinking of having a gutter all round the side as well?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, should have been clearer. There is a gutter along the far length of the conservatory. The left and right roof edges are raised, causing all the rain water to fall to the single hidden gutter. At one end of the gutter is a downpipe to the ground (no drain) - just dumps the water on the ground right there. The gutter seems to be clogged with all kinds of crap, so obviously I'll be cleaning it out as soon as the damned rain stops - but it looks like its been lined with foil type flashing, as opposed to any plastic construction. I was planning provisionally to clean it out, place a length of plastic guttering in there to catch the rain, instead of replacing the knackered flashing, which seems time consuming and prone to tears and crinkles, etc.

You seem to know what you're doing ;) Also you can shape lead flashing to help the rain into the gutter etc

If you want to stick a photo, I maybe able to help you further

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back