Home made portable signal booster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I want to attempt a DIY fix for a poor signal in a property.
I've all the spare bits and bobs to make a booster like that in the video here.
My question before attempting this is : will this have any chance of working?
It would be good to get the experiences of others who may have tried something similar.
Yes, the boosters currently on the market are very expensive and a bit hit and miss in terms of performance which is why
I'm trying my best to avoid them unless I absolutely have to buy one.
Thanks for any information,

Sponsored Links
It seems to be instructions for making a halo aerial. I have used halo's for 2 meters, and seem to remember tuning them in. We would in the main use cores in coils, or variable capacitors, some times just sliding the feeder up and down the feed tails, but we used the amount of reflected signal to judge when tuned well enough.

So tuned on the transmit, using the voltage standing wave ratio (SWR) as a guide, which required a SWR meter.

If we look at a mobile phone, the built in aerial is clearly very small, but also common to be tri-band, and my mobile does not have option for external aerial.

I know 15 years ago Vauxhall cars had instructions about all mobile phones must have aerials outside of the body, I think due to problems with ABS brakes, but today hard to find a phone with option for aerial.

It was my hobby, I it seems collected call signs, VP8XBHZ was first, but today in the main cheaper to buy than make, 1984 a handy rather old second hand cost around £150 to buy, today brand new £35 I could not make one for that price, and if I did it would not be as good.

Good fun trying, but as to value in terms of time, likely better buying what you want ready made.

Cellphone so rather american based.
As you have the bits and if you have the time to spare then nothing ventured nothing gained. Not sure it'll work well for all the UK mobile phone frequencies that are used.

NB The external unit will require some weatherproofing sealing of the coax/connections and need thought on placement to allow it to see the mobile tower/mast.

Don't modern mobile phones and operators have wifi calling to get round the poor signals inside houses nowadays? My mobile doesn't (too old) but the next one probably will.

Note that many commercially available repeater-boosters are likely to be illegal for use in UK. Though some may be OK they'll be more (=eye-wateringly) expensive: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tel...epeater-to-improve-indoor-mobile-phone-signal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back