Homemade water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now this dose not look a very efficient idea to me
to many gapes in between the tubing to allow heat to escape
And the coil only raps round once and not many times inside and out of its self; meaning the fire is wider then the coil and heat inside and outside the coil will be lost.

The video show no demonstration of the final result; how hot the water is coming out

But if I built a thicker and deeper coil round a gas hob/ burner, do you think it would be hot enough for hot water for a shower?

Sponsored Links
If a copper coil over a single gas burner can replicate a heat exchanger in a combi boiler then a few boiler manufacturers might be missing a trick

Yes, that contraption will provide enough hot water to wash the RR mascot on pink roller in Thunderbirds:whistle:

If a copper coil over a single gas burner can replicate a heat exchanger in a combi boiler then a few boiler manufacturers might be missing a trick
Intergas are almost there, but they still have a lump of aluminium around the coil

hot enough for hot water for a shower
This is camping. Why do you want hot water, cold showers are adequate. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Well this did cross my mind indeed, just not enough heat and as much use as a chocolet fure guard
If the burner was hot and effisent enough it may well work
What kind of heat out put (watts) would you get out of a boiler for the water to be hot enough for a hot shower?
What kind of wattage do you think that burner is?

I have a gas fired water heater that is used on a gas hob in a similar manner, but it is probably much more efficient.
It is called a saucepan.

I have a gas fired water heater that is used on a gas hob in a similar manner, but it is probably much more efficient.
It is called a saucepan.
This sounds like witchcraft to me, prepare to be burnt at the steak.

It is called a saucepan.
no very efficent at all sir. considering most of the heat is lost keeping the larger volume of water hot as most of it is not being used at any given time

That burner might be as much as 3Kw and lets be generous and say it transfers 2 Kw to the coil. Even the cheapest electric showers are around 8 Kw and they are just adequate for a shower. An entry level gas combi boiler is around 24 Kw. Get the picture.

That burner might be as much as 3Kw and lets be generous and say it transfers 2 Kw to the coil. Even the cheapest electric showers are around 8 Kw and they are just adequate for a shower. An entry level gas combi boiler is around 24 Kw. Get the picture.
Yer right 8kw, what off a 4 phase circuit; no seriously 3Kw is the maximum you will get out of a socket in a wall (240v x13amp) and there are plentifull socket in a wall boilers and water heaters about.
Who said anything about combi; A combi boiler menas combination meaning it dose hot water and central heating together

Last edited:
no seriously 3Kw is the maximum you will get out of a socket in a wall

Which is why electric showers have a dedicated circuit - high current needed to provide enough power to heat water quickly. Typically requiring a minimum of 45 amp circuit protection. A decent electric shower is likely to be rated around 10kW. How long does it take your kettle (max. 3kW) to heat up a couple of litres of water?

A combi boiler menas combination meaning it dose hot water and central heating together

A combi provides hot water on demand rather than via a hot water cylinder as a system/heat only boiler would do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back