Honda Auto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the market for one of these cars. I would like a nearly new but have been told that a pre registered one will save me alot of money.
Does anyone know how these pre reg work as i can't see why the dealers would reg a car to sell it cheaper.
Thanks guys :)

Sponsored Links
Dealers get discount on the amount of cars they sell. If they sell more they get more discount.
They basically buy the cars themselves and register them, then its classed as a sale on their figures giving them a better discount on their next batch.
Pre-reg is definately the way to go if you want a brand new uk car at a good price.

You will technically become the second owner on the log book, but as the dealer is registered as the first owner don't be worried about that, it will make no difference on its resale value.

You could try someone like www.motorpoint.co.uk if you want a cheap new car, but do be aware that they are imports and this could affect the resale value and could give possible problems with warranty repairs.

Knackers is spot on with his description of pre-reg.

You could also try someone like these.

http://www.fow.co.uk/

Or try a google for car supermarkets.

Because of the car you fancy is hardly run of the mill you are reducing you chances. Honda dealers would more than likely pre-reg manual jazz/civic, as they would be easier to move. It is always best to go in a main dealer towards the month end when they need to meet their targets.

I am not sure, but Honda UK may be able to search the dealer network for you, many other manufacturers will do this.

If you want high end auto you may end up looking ex-demo, which would still be OK.

Also bear in mind it is the total cost of changing and this includes trade in value and finance rates etc.

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks D& J for advice
Looking to pay cash so hopefully will get a fair deal.
In a nutshell go for a pre reg or ex demo at the end of the month.
Any more tips when buying a new car would be appreciated.
Have dreamt of a 1.7 auto for yrs and decided to have one as you never know when your time is up. Sorry to be so morbid :oops:
Thanks
Carlo

Try and do a deal before you mention paying cash. Unlike most trades car dealers don't like cash, they prefer to sell you finance because they get a cut off the finance house.

Although it is nice to pay cash, you should bear in mind how much interest you are losing by not having the money in the building society or WHY. Especially if the dealer offers you an interest free or very very low rate.

Unless it is getting uncomfortable sleeping with your bed at an angle that is. ;)

david and julie said:
car dealers don't like cash,

Funny how just a couple of years ago the "how to get a good deal on a new car" articles used to suggest that cash would secure you a better price. I worked for a guy who bought a new Renault and walked down to the dealers with a carrier-bag full of cash :LOL: As you say, they now make a cut of profits.

I guess with this pre-reg thing, it is only if they are 1 or 2 cars short of the threshold to the next discount level, e.g. if they have secured 49 sales that month but going to 50 sales would get them a few percent off the cost of each car. An old colleague of mine got a discount on a pre-reg MGF because it was a metallic colour. He told them he didn't like metallics and ended up paying LESS for metallic paint than he would for solid :LOL:

If you have the cash, shop, shop around don't rush .... Don't tell one seller what another has offered make 'em sweat for it.
DO not ever buy ex hire car (except from Channel Isle) ... I'll lay money it hasn't been serviced, may even have been brought in by driver but only looked over ... seen and heard a bit, from the 'orses mouths ... frightening !!

P

Sponsored Links
Back