Honda or Briggs & stratton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are your views, As I'm thinking of buy a new mower with these engines.

Mountfield - Honda - Hayter.

Honda GCVx 200 engine
Honda GCVx 170 engine
Briggs and Stratton 650EXI engine

Sponsored Links
Honda for me, but I'd avoid any walk behind mower with hydrostatic drive.....a real Achilles heel after a few years!
Curiously, the garden tractors don't suffer from this to any degree.
The Izy is my favourite, 16, 18 and 21 inch cuts.
John :)

Thanks.

I would rather have a mower with a roller, love the stripes 40 yards up and down lawn.

Not checked if Mountfield SP505V or SP555RV or Hayter Harrier 48 Auto drive +BBC or Harrier 48 PRO drive has the hydrostatic drive

Waiting to see New Honda catalogue

The 555RV has an expanding cone variable drive rather than the hydrostatic so that should be a winner - I can't comment on the others! Best ask at the shop when you are ready to buy.
Expect the Mountfield to be much cheaper than the similar Honda, but if you can get one with a Honda engine - rather than Mountfields own - then so much the better.
The Izy's are pretty basic, and have a rubber strip on the rear deck which does give a striped effect to some degree.
You pays yer money etc.....good luck with your purchase!

Sponsored Links
How are the new Honda engines ?

Honda GCVx 200 engine
Honda GCVx 170 engine

My Honda 476 has the old engine.

If I recall, the early 476 had the side valve engine.....a little screamer!
All of the other Honda engines are just fine - unfortunately they are blessed with an automatic choke but if that’s set up well then its fine too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back