Honestly how difficult can it be......... Rear extension

Sponsored Links
Hi

Things have stalled due to the break, and I don't mean holiday season.

Work has been hectic so I've had to do some, Plus weather has been bad here on the times I could attempt anything. Got 1 x row of Trench blocks in situ...... Fekers weigh 23kg each, not easy when your 1 handed. Not had the chance to knock up the muck to fix them due to rain or other commitments.

There's always tomorrow

Scaff

Scaff hope the arm heeling well. No rush matey as you not living in a tent. Chris nearly there with his extension and a cracking job not rushed.

ALL I can say is

I WAS LEFT UNSUPERVISED, SO IT'S NOT MY FAULT.......

I'd been getting the right nark on not being able to do ANYTHING, plus the rain, work, family etc. oh and the broken arm I keep forgetting about that lil Ray of sunshine.

Well today was the only day the weather was clear, and temp was 8 or 9 degrees, so I thought time to get them Trench blocks set in and finally get above ground. My wife was out with my eldest for a few hours so I thought who's gonna know.......

I bought a cement mixer from ebay its only a 63ltr one but for under £100 delivered so I thought it'll be great for what I need down the road, here's the rub.... You can't get a barrow under it to tip the muck out...... Chinese cement rovers 1 scaff argyle 0

So the Trench was flooded by 4inch of water, pretty std with the rain of late, I had an episode where the drain had blocked, the manhole had backfilled and overflowed into the Trench about 4 weeks ago. It was just dirt blocking the pipe and the drain rods at full 6mtrs just got it.... I was like a one armed man at a shuffleboard contest. Back to today I Emptied the Trench, dustpan into bucket bucket down garden, about 40plus buckets and it was in a position to get goin.

The Trench blocks were previously laid out, and wet, they weighed 23kg dry, wet was more than 24kg..........somewhat more, and with one hand fekin absolute dogs to move.

I got 15 of the 60 Trench blocks needed relaid and cemented in place inside 3hrs. So depending on what maths you use that's either 25% done or about 2 weeks of *******ing from the wife on her return.

I will say to all the brickwork maestros out there yes they Prob look rough as a badgers bellend, yes I could have been cleaner on the joints but as a one (left) handed newbie on the last diy moped to oblivion I think it's OK, and it's level, considering the footings we're not.

Anyway, all clothes in the wash, hose out cement mixer and clean up, tools back in their beds, bath and a beer just as they got home and she's hasn't sussed as yet. If I get away with this I may need to consider a job in the secret service.

Night all

0 0 Scaff

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_150250(2).jpg
    IMG_20191124_150250(2).jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 584
Sponsored Links
Hi all

The weather has been so wet here over the last 2 months its been impossible, plus its been too cold for the mortar.

Just finished 2 days working on the extension, all Trench / foundation blocks laid, and I got 2 x courses of engineering bricks laid. One more course and I'll be the right height for the block n beam floor.

Need to get a wiggle on from now on as we want it up before Easter.

IMG_20200125_155524_resized_20200126_075618055.jpg
IMG_20200125_155524_resized_20200126_075618055.jpg
IMG_20200126_105611_resized_20200126_075618745.jpg

Looking good. Hows the arm. Not been on for a bit with stuff going on. Yes weather been rubbish. Need the front of housing rendering as it looks a mess at present. But keep telling her indoors we need to wait.

ALL getting there m8

Spent the day with the digger man today, clearing the rubble and earth into the 2 big ponds in the garden. Successful day as it no longer looks like a bomb site and now looks like the surface of the moon. Another day with the digger tomorrow gonna lay the new drain in front of the extension. At the same time I'm going to lay some celcon blocks on the outside of the footings to take the raised deck that's going in at the end. More bad weather an rain forecast after weds so it may be into Feb before I can get on again.

Scaff

Well for a change I thought I ruin the front of the house today.

Dug the footings for the porch earlier, going for a half brick and oak job with new front door.

Size is 1.8m x 2.3m x 1.8m

No dramas other than a 15mm copper pipe with the gas feed for the lounge under the ground.

Concrete pour tomorrow.

Thurs looks to be a bag of ****e weather wise, so brick o'clock Fri with the block n beam floor going in ASAP straight after.

ScaffIMG_20200211_105224.jpg

Not much to report really

Somehow managed to fracture a bone in my wrist or all things getting a wheel off a car that had been put on with an impact wrench. Gonna have to take me socks n shoes of and lean to use them.

I had someone lined upto install the block n beam floor, that fukd me about and let me down, twice the price changed and twice he let me down.... Bellends.

So, with fracture in hand and the bread knife I set about it today.

9am it was full of rain water, due to the constant rain here for weeks on end.

By 1pm we had 6 beams in, cut into the house, its a mix of 3m and 4.8m beams..... They are heavy....... 3m 105kg and 4.8m 170kg each. When there's 2 of you it's a bit of a challenge. Then it rained again........

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_092207.jpg
    IMG_20200229_092207.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20200229_123959.jpg
    IMG_20200229_123959.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 383
What you been up to now. You been walking under ladders and smashing mirrors. Take it easy. Pop to scrap yard or tyre place and get a battered old wheel rim for rolling them along on just make sure it wide enough to slot in the tyre wall. Not brill but take some of the weight moving them about.

What you been up to now. You been walking under ladders and smashing mirrors. Take it easy. Pop to scrap yard or tyre place and get a battered old wheel rim for rolling them along on just make sure it wide enough to slot in the tyre wall. Not brill but take some of the weight moving them about.

I did something similar last time I was moving 150kg steel beams: rolled them on 12 inch offcuts of scaffold pole, on top of scaffold board as a smooth surface. You could pretty much move them with one hand.

That's a good idea, the only problem I have is the hound is so soft and uneven from the digger churning it up right where I need to move these beams. So it looks like it's by hand only.

Or helicopter.

So if anyone's got a big chopper not up to much...........

Scaff

Only other way i can think of is a ratchet strap. In the middle of it tie a loop just big enough to fit over the end of a beam then straddle the beam making a loop to go over your head on to your shoulders with your knees bent. Tie the strap at one side so the knot not on your neck or shoulders. Slide it over the beam by about a foot or so and when you stand you lift and drag it along.

Best one that works... Tried and tested myself for jobs.

Couple of mates sunday afternoon advertising free beers and a hotpot or chilli

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back