Honeywell evohome losing binding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a Honeywell evohome system about two years ago and have been very satisfied with it. However over the past couple of months I've had a few occasions where the relay box shows a red light indicating loss of binding with the controller box.

It's easy enough to to rebind it, but I can't understand why this is happening. The relay box and controller are located just 50cm apart, so comms signal is good.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what pictures you need. It's just the standard BDR91 relay box. The red led flashes 3sec on 3sec off. According to the Honeywell documents this indicates a lost binding. It just recommends clearing the binding and then rebinding, which does clear the fault. The BDR is bound to to the evohome controller. Assuming that one of the two units is developing an intermittent fault, I guess replacing the BDR would be the first option as its a lot cheaper than the controller. Just wondering if anyone had come across this problem before.

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg Ok here's the picture. The BDR is on the wall, and hard wired to the boiler in a room behind the wall.

Thanks for your replies Dan. I take your point about the the equipment next to the controller. It's actually a redundant CD player which hasn't been plugged in for years, so no electrical interference, although maybe some magnetic interference which could affect comms.

However comms is not the problem. The binding process between two wireless devices is a 'once only' exchange of data and once bound, a device should in theory store that for life, even if powered off. It's like pairing two Bluetooth phones together. Once paired, they can be 100 miles apart. They won't communicate, but will always be paired. The problem in my case is that the BDR is losing its binding data, so won't talk to the controller.

As you said, it's probably the BDR which is developing a fault. Maybe a software/firmware glitch. I was hoping someone else may have experienced this problem and resolved it. At the moment it's a very infrequent fault which has I think happened three times over the past couple of months. However it gets worse, then I guess a replacement BDR may be the answer. Interestingly the controller is bound to nine other devices and none of these have lost their binding.

Moving the controller is an easy option, although it's been in that location for over two years without problems. I'll give this a try and report back, but due to the infrequency of the fault it may be some time.

So is there a flash/solid state memory that holds the binding data and is supported by a battery? Would it lose the data this way resulting in a non-serviceable unit needing replacing? :?::idea::!:

Thanks for your replies Dan. I take your point about the the equipment next to the controller. It's actually a redundant CD player which hasn't been plugged in for years, so no electrical interference, although maybe some magnetic interference which could affect comms.

However comms is not the problem. The binding process between two wireless devices is a 'once only' exchange of data and once bound, a device should in theory store that for life, even if powered off. It's like pairing two Bluetooth phones together. Once paired, they can be 100 miles apart. They won't communicate, but will always be paired. The problem in my case is that the BDR is losing its binding data, so won't talk to the controller.

As you said, it's probably the BDR which is developing a fault. Maybe a software/firmware glitch. I was hoping someone else may have experienced this problem and resolved it. At the moment it's a very infrequent fault which has I think happened three times over the past couple of months. However it gets worse, then I guess a replacement BDR may be the answer. Interestingly the controller is bound to nine other devices and none of these have lost their binding.

Moving the controller is an easy option, although it's been in that location for over two years without problems. I'll give this a try and report back, but due to the infrequency of the fault it may be some time.

Honeywell do insist the hardware is at least 300mm away from metallic objects
You could put the controller in the middle of the room and then wrap it up in foil, you may find it behaves a little weird. Foil not connected to anything.

Honeywell do insist the hardware is at least 300mm away from metallic objects
You could put the controller in the middle of the room and then wrap it up in foil, you may find it behaves a little weird. Foil not connected to anything.

I think that only refers to the BDR. There's nothing in the manual which refers to siting of the controller unit, and of course all the radiator valves are sat on the end of large metal radiators and they seem to work ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back