Honeywell Galaxy Flex 20 Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can help with this issue thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

I'm currently in the process of attempting to replace an old basic screwfix alarm panel and keypad with a Honeywell Galaxy Flex 20 panel and Mk7 Keypad. I've tested the panel and keypad before installation which exposed an issue with the keypad's LCD display which wasn't connected properly inside I resolved this problem and they appeared to work fine and talk to each other no problem there.
Now the panel and pad have been fitted using the existing cabling from the previous system i've come up against an issue - when I power the system on I just get either Blocks on the pad and it beeps or flashing ********* with the beeps. I understand the flashing ******** indicates an issue with communication between the panel and pad but cannot see anything wrong wiring wise - even swapping the A and B connections to the spare pair of cables in the 6-core wire which is running through the wall to the pad made no difference.

My thoughts are:
1) there is a fault with either the pad or the panel
2) there is a fault with one of the existing sensors or other part of the old system which is causing some interference with the new panel?
3) the 12v power supply running to the pad is somehow interfering with the data signal running down the same cable?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I have currently completely run out of ideas on this one!

Sponsored Links
the first thing is you can prove you haven't damaged the units by connecting the keypad on a short fresh cable, ie like you did originally to show it worked.

There is a fair chance from what you describe that the cables for the old panel are damaged, broken or shorted and most likely for the coms as the unit is powered up.

why are you replacing the old panel (because it wasn't working ?)

The keypad still sounds suspect. How did you repair it? It shouldn't show blocks, it should only show stars when not communicating. I agree with above. Take the wiring out of the equation by installing with a short cable near the panel.

If you power the keypad on while pressing the 'ent' key, the keypad will go into test mode. At least this way you will know the LCD part is working.

Also, is the red LED flashing on the panel a minute or so after power on?

Thanks for the advice I shall check what you suggested and report back on any progress.

In terms of fixing the pad I simply disconnected and reconnected the lcd screen to get it working before.

The reason for replacing the old panel is as I bought the property but nobody knew the code for the old system and there was no reset procedure apart from replacing the board inside so figured might as well upgrade to a new better panel.

One thought did occur to me and that is that the old cable in the wall to the pad appears to be aluminium conductor and not copper or CCA - I presume it's a possibility that this quality of cable is simply not good enough for the honeywell system?

Sponsored Links
Ok so having checked a few things now:
It's not working with a new short cable to the panel now - same problem flashing **********
The pad does operate in test mode by pressing the enter key when powering up - LCD works fine.
The main panel red led is flashing periodically a minute or so after power up - pad is still sitting away flashing *********

Upon further testing across ports a and b on the back of the pad with my multimeter i'm getting a solid 3v which from reading around is not normal and indicates no communication is taking place. The 12V power input is reading 13.5V on the pad.

Any further thoughts or suggestions? My thinking would point towards a faulty pad at this point.

Was this a sold as seen eBay purchase? Yes, first try another keypad, then panel PCB. The red flashing led is telling you the panel is booting at least.

If from a reputable seller, return the keypad for a replacement.

Ok as an update to this got it working - one of the PIR sensors was causing an issue preventing the panel from fully starting up. I've now got the system up and running but have hit upon another issue that I cannot seem to get it to read any prox keyfobs to program them onto the system. I've selected the user and chosen option 6 then pressed A and 1 to get two beeps then when i hold the keyfob up to it for 10 seconds nothing happens it doesn't seem to read the fob at all. Any suggestions?

Just as a note the system was purchased from a reputable seller yes.

I cannot figure how a sensor would stop the system booting unless it was short circuit on the power rail - but the cpu should still boot in that case. Does the keypad have the max reader inside (red coil) and is the max showing in diagnostics menu 61 ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back