Galaxy Dimension RS485-line and ethernet serial converters

Reaction score
Country
Finland
... Do they work together? I have currently one mk7 keypad connected directly on panels RS485-line. However, for sake of convenience and better usability, another keypad on garage would be good.

Can I simply use two RS485-ethernet converters to connect remote keypad to panel and use my existing ethernet cabling between keypad and panel? Serial to ethernet-converters are quite cheap and I remember reading that Galaxy Dimension serial bus has line parameters 9600bps, 8bits data, no parity and 2 stop bits.

Sponsored Links
The galaxy bus uses 3.5 character gap mode for end of packet detection. 9600 serial with two stop bits works, but not perfectly. Also, if your Ethernet network gets too busy for any reason, the panel will signal a tamper for missing heartbeats from the keypad.

The galaxy bus uses 3.5 character gap mode for end of packet detection. 9600 serial with two stop bits works, but not perfectly. Also, if your Ethernet network gets too busy for any reason, the panel will signal a tamper for missing heartbeats from the keypad.

Thanks! Are there any other preferred solutions (other than digging new cable) than common serial converter? Panel is located in cellar/utility room and even it's house built around 2010, nobody thought installing ethernet cable between main building and garage, it's currently PowerLine connection (very stable). Ethernet/PowerLine connection is very reliable and probably not very highly loaded, there are only three FHD security cameras using it.

Of course, if there's compatible wireless keypad, it would be more than good solution. I have TC-keyfobs, but for certain purposes, keypad is better. It might even work as deterrent.

Keypad Power?

Isn't this a four wire comms bus of which two are the 'data' & two are the power for the keypad?

Personally, I would never even consider trying to send the link between a keypad & a panel using a PowerLine connection. IMHO you are asking for trouble.......

Sponsored Links
Keypad Power?

Isn't this a four wire comms bus of which two are the 'data' & two are the power for the keypad?

Personally, I would never even consider trying to send the link between a keypad & a panel using a PowerLine connection. IMHO you are asking for trouble.......

I need separate 12v power supply for certain other things, that part shouldn't be problem. Power can be supplied to modules from local power supply if panel is far away, it's OK according to manual. But you are correct, it's single pair for data and other pair for power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back