Honeywell Galaxy Flex 20 - Where to buy

Grj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been researching which alarm system to install into our new home, I have decided on the Galaxy Flex 20 (DIY install).

I want the firmware 3 version, but I can't find anywhere to purchase it from. I've googled the code of the kit from the datasheet (C005-E1-K24I)

I can find the firmware 1 version, but really want the iphone keypad emulator app so that I can see the status whilst away from home, and this isn't mentioned on the firmware 1 datasheet (but is on the firmware 3).

I'm reluctant to call a company to ask as I've seen many suggesting you have to be a professional installer to buy from them / only deal with trade, but the DIY alarms don't appear to be of the quality that I want (and I have been wiring up things for about 30 years, and am a computer programmer, so don't see why I shouldn't self install).

If I have to purchase the panel & ethernet separately instead of part of a kit then that's fine, although I guess it will be more expensive :(

Any suggestions of where I can purchase the v3 version from without questions?

Thanks (and thanks for all the previous posts that have helped me narrow down to the Flex 20 in the first place)
Glyn

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The V1 Flex with E080 Ethernet is compatible with the Honeywell App (and my non Honeywell keypad app) as is the Galaxy Dimension. The V3 Flex is available at Security Warehouse. This will cost you around £300 for the keypad, panel and IB Ethernet module.

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3658

I would always choose the Dimension (V6.80 and above) over the Flex though! The Flex firmware is just a bit too immature and Honeywell take ages to acknowledge issues and fix things.

There are bargains to be had on Ebay with new Dimension panels - the Dimension is very robust.

• Thanks
Reactions: Grj
Thanks for the link, I kept finding the v1 panel on that website!

When you say the flex firmware is too immature, are there specific issues that come to mind?

From playing around with the Honeywell app in demo mode, I've concluded it's a poor first release, perhaps I'm an optimist in hoping for rapid improvements from a corporate. For example, I would have expected in app notifications, a nice presentation of which zones have alarmed, etc. I really wanted something like http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176, but it doesn't appear to be compatible with UK alarms. Is this something you're planning with your app?

Thanks

I believe the app was developed by a third party, so this will probably make releases even slower. You might get something in a year or two :(

I cannot provide any specifics on the Flex as they are security related, but when I contacted Honeywell about some day zero vulnerabilities, they didn't want to know. The response went on the lines - we will not discuss outwith a NDA and we do not enter into NDA's any more.

I don't have any plans for extra functionality at the moment, but that's mainly due to limited requests (the selfmon customers take priority). The SelfMon platform takes care of detailed notifications using SMS, Voice and Email, so the apps are really for any remedial action using the keypad.

It's taken a while to get the iPhone version ready, but it's nearing completion and I hope to have it available soon.

Sponsored Links
Hmm. OK - as far as the issues, then they're not really basic things not working, it's at a deeper level, so I'm less concerned about that (this is a home installation). I'll have to toss up again about Flex vs Dimension.

I'm starting to lean towards the Dimension, but if I were to go with Flex (v3), then do I understand your website correctly to say that as long as I purchase the official Honeywell Ethernet option I can purchase and use selfmon + the virtual keypad. It's just your Ethernet board that isn't compatible with Flex V3?

Do the SMS / email notifications have details about which zone has been activated?

Interesting to hear there is an iPhone version on the way, have to say the lack of that put me off in the past, but now, I understand that it's really selfmon that is the notification platform, and not the app.

That issue is at a deeper level yes. Probably low risk for domestic, but I can only offer advice based on my understanding of the issues.

The Flex only supports TCP and not UDP. SelfMon still supports TCP, but the preference is UDP. Also, the Flex has a bug for the path checking / test in that when it is selected for one device, it will signal all messaging devices which are configured. These issues don't stop you using the system, but it's unlikely that Honeywell will ever fix them.

The iPhone app has made significant progress in the last couple of weeks. I had to outsource some of the development due to time constraints.

I cannot provide any specifics on the Flex as they are security related,
Why does that stop you providing it? Why do you feel you have to cover for the incompetance of a company you do not work for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back