honeywell galaxy power cut problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We purchased a house with an ADT MONITORED SYSTEM that the vendor then cancelled so we have never had it linked by telephone to control centre and just used it as a stand alone system Recently we had a lengthy power supply problem which also meant the backup battery went flat When power was restored all kinds of problems and couldnt set as constantly received message telephone line fail and eventually couldnt stop sounder so had to disconnect mains / battery connections , and one sounder connection after removing main board panel so neighbours could get some sleep The people we bought from are no longer around and whilst they left us the handbook / user guide etc there are several numbers written on in biro -none of which seem to work and entering them isnt getting us anywhere . Does anyone know if we can reconnect everything and in some way get back to square one and start again -or now its quiet - do we just get a local firm to install a new main board / control panel and just use the existing detectors and door sensors etc We are the residents and presumably ADT would sort but we have been told as its now stand alone at the moment we can do whatever as while we are getting "no tel line" message - it has never been monitored since we moved in and this only started after power cut problem Would appreciate any help but if its a new system - so be it! Thanks fellas

Sponsored Links
Can't answer your question per-se, but new Galaxy G2-12 (12 zone) panels are around £30 on ebay. You can re-use your existing sensors and door contacts etc. Also google 'selfmon', and for a quid per month your alarm will text/call/email you when it goes off etc.

It's probably an old Galaxy 8 or 18 and has defaulted due to the on-board battery backup failing due to age. You can program it to get it back up and running, but as alan333 has stated, it may be better swapping out the panel itself for a G2 series if you have the technical skills required (it's not too difficult). You will need to source a new back-up battery while you are at it. Something like this is very good value:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NP7-12-12...267722?hash=item2cb01d3f0a:g:XBUAAOSw9NdXqNf0

BTW, ADT would probably want to install a new system and charge around £1k. A local installer would probably charge in the region of £250 for a panel swap. DIY will cost you less than £50 if you can do it!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks for helping fellas but the battery is newish (8 months) At the moment flat because disconnected and partly due to the time we had no mains supply I had to do something as it was late Sat evening so took main panel cover off and disconnected battery and then sounder battery wire connection to stop the b----y noise~~~~!! came on here cosI presume if I connect sounder battery wire / baterry backup in main board / or fused spur mains supply /or all three to board all hell will break loose again (correct ?)just hoping that all having been off for several days there may be a way to reset and start again from scratch -clutcing straws and faint hope I know! So youre suggesting keep keypad and sensors and fit new main board /panel wired from basepoint and forget trying to reset existing ? Will it help you help me if I get existing panel model and where would I find it (have left all untouched since silencing it!!!) Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
For thirty quid I'd fit a new panel, and have the comfort of knowing my alarm is new (and the option of having it contact me if/when it goes off). I did exactly this with my old formerly ADT monitored system, which was a Galaxy 8. Most of the connections are similar from the Galaxy 8 to the G2-12, but the installation manual does take a bit of getting your head round. It's mostly 12 volt too, so it's not too dangerous. I got lots of help from people on here, including GalaxyGuy.

You should find your model number somewhere on/in the control panel but beware ADT have sort-of customised versions of Galaxy panels. Mine, for example, didn't have a Galaxy 8 motherboard in it, although all the paperwork including the original installation sheet said it was a Galaxy 8.

Your current panel does have an issue with the small 3v on-board cell. This will not stop it working, but does mean that it will lose settings should the mains fail and the 12V battery backup run down at a future point. If you're happy reprogramming when that happens, then you will be fine. The codes will be at default manager and default engineer when you power back on, so just enter the manager code and it will silence external sirens.

As engineer, you need to program option 56.1 and disable the 'line volts' check to clear the Telecom fail.
Then enter menu 52 and program each of the zones to the appropriate setting depending on what they are wired to. You can use 'Display -> Zones' then get someone to walk around triggering devices in order to determine what's wired where.

Hi fellas
following your tips -disconnected mains / and battery backup and sounder which at the time couldnt stop
Have been on holiday and just returned -but son was house sitting so no risk as such
Presume now totally dead battery ? and awaiting connection back to fused spur to control panel/ battery
What would you fellas require to assist - some reference number for board and keypad - or do I get a more up to date panel and then you talk me through that
Not bothered about phone link - but of course a message to my mobile instead of police would be beneficial if not stretching the old grey matter!
Your advice would be greatly appreciated and if anyone can take me through it step at a time I feel I could tackle it although as its a security measure I appreciate it hasnt got to be too simplistic Thanks for your reply

I'm not an alarm expert so can't really advise whether it's worth maintaining your old panel, but can say that changing the panel to another Galaxy isn't too difficult if you're good with your hands and can understand the (lengthy) installation manual. Most of the wiring is similar from old panel to new: a pair of power wires to everything, a pair of sensor wires to everything, plus the siren wires and the 240v feed.

If you want your alarm to text you when it goes off you need to buy an ethernet module (£50) and hard wire it to your router, and join the Selfmon service. Selfmon costs one quid per month, plus an extra 5p per text if you 'use' more than 20 texts. It also emails you (free), and you can also have voice calls if you want. You can configure events, and can have it text you, for example, when a user unsets the alarm etc, perhaps handy if you want to know your kid is skipping school and coming home early, or your cleaner leaves after 20 mins. I had a bit of trouble configuring the Selfmon service with my particular router but was talked through the process over the phone. It works by phone app or any internet, and you have full control over your panel as if you were standing in your hallway.

Edit... The G2 panels also have "night set" and "part set", which does what it says on the tin, ie you can, for example, set all the downstairs sensors but leave the top landing one idle during the night, but the alarm will sound if someone enters a downstairs zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back