Honeywell Motorised Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiators in my house today were getting very hot despite the thermostat on CH being low and therefore radiators should not have been on at all. This did not happen over the summer and only started happening today.

The Hot Water was on at the time so I did a bit of investigating on here and all pointed to the Motorised Valve Being the issue.

I looked at the valve and silver lever was set to manual so I moved it accross to Auto. Then I turned the system off and moved the lever back to manual (there was some reistance and I heard the motor wirring). I then watched to see if it would move back to auto itself but only got a third of the way back so I moved it back (with some more resistance and some more wirring).

I then turned the hot water on and the lever stayed in auto and the radiators did not get hot.

My question is have I fixed the problem by moving the lever from manual to auto?or is this just a temporary fix and at some point it will go back to manual? should it always be on auto or does it move from manual to auto depending on what is running? i.e. if just water is it manual or vice versa?

Sorry so many questions but before I call a plumber out and get bamboozled by what he may end up telling me I want to be somewhat armed with the facts.

Sponsored Links
The lever should be left on auto.
Sounds like you have a sticky valve causing it not to fully close the heating port when only hw selected.

Thank you,

Is it possible for me to fix the sticky valve myself (as a total novice at this stuff) or should I call a plumber?

Sometimes pushing the lever across afew times and letting it return on it's own can free them up where it has been in hw position all summer.

Sponsored Links
Thank you?

Just so I get it right - If I set it to manual should it automatically go back to Auto on it's own instead of me forcing it? So far I have had to force it back but have only done it a couple of times. Also should the system be on or off when I move lever back and forth?

I you do it with the electrics fused spur isolated for the heating system then the valve will be in it's relaxed position hw port open only.
Then push the lever right across and let go it should return fully.

The valve could be seizing up due to age or crud in the system and may need replacing if it continues to stick.

Sorry I know this is a dumb question but when you say with the electrics fused spur isolated, will switching of the central heating mains suffice so the controls are all off (there is an electrical switch in the airing cupboard labelled 'central heating' ) Not competent enough to do anything electrical

Can't thank you enough - thank you thank you thank you

I moved it the first time and it resisted going back, tried again and it went back itself and did it again went back itself.

Hopefully that's it but will keep an eye on it for a while just in case it goes back to manual again

Can't thank you enough - thank you thank you thank you

I moved it the first time and it resisted going back, tried again and it went back itself and did it again went back itself.

Hopefully that's it but will keep an eye on it for a while just in case it goes back to manual again

Now your going to be using the heating more often it should keep the valve moving freely. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back