Honeywell thermostat and Salad RT510RF+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Salas RT510RF+ to replace an old Honeywell thermostat with only live and neutral connections which controls a timer for backboiler. Is this a compatible replacement and if so how do I adapt the wiring or will I need to run a new common live and neutral to it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there are only 2 existing wires, then that won't be usable with the new receiver. Those two wires are not live and neutral either.
If there are 3 or more wires, then it may be usable.

However the receiver unit is not intended to be installed in the location of an old thermostat, the receiver is installed next to the boiler or wiring centre, and the actual thermostat located in a more convenient location.

Thanks. I was hoping there was a way of wiring the receiver into the Drayfoss timer so I could dispense with The Honeywell thermostat.

Sponsored Links
There are four areas of interest.
One the boiler.
Two the timer (normally called a programmer)
Three the wiring centre.
Four the thermostat.
Since you want to use a wireless thermostat the base does not need to go to same place as the old thermostat, if replacing a thermostat my first thing is look at the boiler, so find the installation instructions on the internet and do a word search for ebus and opentherm, so if it can use an opentherm or ebus connected likely that is best way forward.

Next look at the system, is it a combination boiler or does it have separate boiler for domestic hot water and central heating, or does the central heating boiler heat a storage tank?

If the latter how many valves and pumps, and are the valves two port or three port, this gives you an idea what plan it is using.

Also why do you want a new thermostat? Some times the old thermostat can work better than the new, if the thermostat switches on/off and the boiler is a condensate type, then the job of the thermostat is in the main to stop it cycling in the summer months, the thermostatic radiator valve (TRV) does all the setting of room temperatures, and although a cheap hard wired thermostat can stop cycling, as you move to wireless there is a massive jump, cheap wireless don't fail save, mid range have anti-hysteresis software which messes up the boiler so expensive to run, so you jump to the higher range which in the main link to the TRV, so you jump from £35 for a programmable hard wired, to £350 plus for thermostat and TRV heads.

The mid range are OK for oil boilers and old gas boilers before they became condensing, but not so good for modern gas, there are exceptions of course, I am talking in general terms.

Anyway start with saying what you want the new thermostat for, to look good, so you can move room to room, so you can have different temperatures at different times of day, there may be a simple method you have not considered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back