Honeywell to wiser smart thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I decided to purchase a smart thermostat and looked for one that said it could be easily installed DIY without the need for an engineer etc.

So I decided to go for the wiser smart thermostat kit 3. It arrived today, and I went to replace our current thermostat with the new one, only to find the wires do not match up at all! I have tried to contact Drayton Wiser, but no luck.

This is our current thermostat. We have two - one downstairs (controls downstairs) and one upstairs (for upstairs heating). We have a Logic Combi ES35 bolier

IMG_1751.jpeg
IMG_1760.jpeg

Is anyone able to explain how I wire up the new Wiser one? Instructions here - Instructions

.... or just tell me I need to get an electrician!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Your Honeywell stats are two wire, battery powered stats.
The Wiser receiver would be wired into your wiring centre, which may be a small box, located next to the boiler, or even as in a recent posting - under the bath!
Your original stats and their associated wiring would be decommissioned.
Find your wiring centre, and post a picture - we can help from there.

I thought I might be missing something, but I have looked all over the house (not under the bath!), but I can not find any other box. The only box next to the boiler is this one. Apart from that, all the pipes from the boiler go into the walls / flooring.

IMG_1762.jpeg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I have taken a picture of what was inside the box and a photo of what I believe are the zone valves (????).

IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1763.jpeg

Do both zone valve cables go into that box?
At least one does.
How many cables in total are there, entering the box? - if there are less than five (perhaps 3?) - there would be some extra connections made elsewhere.

A wider picture showing the cables around the boiler, and how those relate to the box may be helpful.

• Thanks
Thank you for your help so far.

I have attached a photo which I hope shows the whole system. One of the black cables goes into the box, the other valve cable goes off into the wall.

I really do appreciate your help.

IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

Ok, so the box simply acts as an extension to the zone valve cable.
Given the short length of the zone valve cable, and given the other cable goes directly into the wall...
What is on the other side of the wall?! :)

Is there a fused connection unit for the boiler?

Nothing - it is just a wall - The staircase that leads downstairs.
As above, given the length of the zone valve cable, there needs to be another connection within about 50cm of where the cable enters the wall.
It's possible that another box is used within the wall, but that would be rather short sighted.
You should also have a method of isolating the boiler - where is the boilers FCU located?

Check behind the double blank plate, but I’d also revisit the Wago box as I see x2 black cables

, but I’d also revisit the Wago box as I see x2 black cables
Zone valve cable in to Wago box - extension cable out to wall.
The original cable just wasn't quite long enough!
If you listen carefully, you can still hear the installers curses :)

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back