Hook & eye lock not holding open? Just slips out when you pull away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Erm I’m confused I was under the impression hook and eye locks were simple to install
But here I am trying to install a little one to my living room door to hold it open (from child)

I’ve attached the hook to the wall. But when I put it in the ‘eye’, it just slides right out the moment it gets any pressure at all

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Are the fixings at the same level ordo they need to be staggered?
We use a door stop

Sponsored Links
Of yours, in place
I haven’t attached the eye yet. The hook is just high up on a wall, there isn’t much to see

I am speaking from if I hold it in place against the door and put the latch in then it just pops out, tried different heights and same result

i assume as johnd says the hook is presenting an angled surface to the loop so it just rides up with load
try temporary winding an elastic band or masking tape around the hook and see what happens

You could’ve fitted it out of level,too close,too far away , for completely the wrong purpose , impossible to say with no information .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back